Unleashing leviathan
Posted by aogWednesday, 26 June 2013 at 06:39 TrackBack Ping URL

[…] it strikes me that one of Obama’s most pernicious influences—and there are so many to choose from—has been that he has let future politicians know what is possible in America. And, unlike his supporters, I don’t mean that in a good way.

There used to be certain assumptions on the part of politicians who would be president. […] if you went against too many of these rules the American people (and perhaps Congress, perhaps even your own party in some cases) was very likely to turn against you and not re-elect you. […] generally there was a certain respect for the unwritten law of natural consequences: the belief was that the American people had its limits. You could con all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, and all that. But enough of the people would be onto your game to stop you.

Obama has proven all of that is bunk for the right person at the right time.

neoneocon

Ultimately we have to blame the voting public who embraced candidate and then President Obama despite all of this. Obama, even as a candidate, always blithely ignored any traditional or societal (and frequently legal) constraints on his political activities, and few seemed to care. But we can place special blame on Old Media and the journalists who compose it for enabling so much of this by their consistent propaganda efforts on Obama’s behalf. It was better and more thorough than most state controlled media, driven apparently by a pathological love for the candidate which cause them, unprompted and undirected, to do whatever was needful to keep Obama looking good.

erp Wednesday, 26 June 2013 at 08:15

From the link above: “I can think of no equivalent in modern politics in America.” What about Jonestown and the poisoned Kool-Aid? What about teenage girls fainting at the sight of Frank Sinatra or Elvis Presley and many other entertainers or adults sobbing, reaching out to touch the hands of Kennedy or Roosevelt, or even God help us, bubba … lots of examples.

Perhaps the quote meant no equivalent reaction to a person of color. Then I agree. It allowed elitist racists to assuage their guilt in a classic way using projection because it my long journey through life, it’s been liberals, lefties whatever they call themselves now who are the racists and that includes the vaunted halls of ivy where I’ve spend a bit of time and I’d be willing to bet that it also includes all media and entertainment cabals as well.

Far from treating their melanin enhanced colleagues as equals, they are fawned over and flattered and treated like some rare exotic species. The disgusting display is so obvious only the AA babies don’t realize it. The non-AA people do realize it, but do and say nothing so as to not upset their own apple carts.

The great unwashed are merely distracted from the boredom of their lives by the freebies being offered in exchange for their freedom. The scene of Pleasure Island from the film of “Pinocchio” depicts this is a horribly graphic way.

Annoying Old Guy Wednesday, 26 June 2013 at 13:15

erp;

Those aren’t really “modern politics in America”. With regard to Kennedy and Roosevelt, she does regard Kennedy as the closest but still not in the same league as the Obama worship. I agree. I think the key difference is that in apparently similar previous cases, the journalists didn’t have that level of worship in private, they just smoothed the way in public. For Obama, it’s somewhat reversed in that the journalists are even more worshipful in person than they are in their public writings.

On the racial aspects, I agree that certainly plays a part in the “magic negro” aspect of Obama and is a classic example of the soft bigotry of low expectation as exemplified by Vice President Biden.

erp Wednesday, 26 June 2013 at 19:07

I know things that happened long ago aren’t modern politics, but they are basic tenets of the left.

Annoying Old Guy Wednesday, 26 June 2013 at 19:11

I meant more that things like Jonestown weren’t really politics at all. One can accept that there are always fringes and those out there can do weird or suicidal things, but when it’s mainstream in our political system, it’s a much more serious problem.

erp Wednesday, 26 June 2013 at 22:11

aog, like Harry, my reading on modern politics is colored by memories and history of decades ago. I believe that there is a world wide movement (call it a conspiracy if you like) of like-minded people determined to make the world into my worst nightmare of leftwing mumbo-jumbo with the final chapter extinction of human life in order that the earth become pure or some other such nonsense.

IMO mainstream politics are moving dangerously close to a fringe movement with Obama becoming a cult figure like Koresh in Waco and the Reverend Jones.

We, the People are sitting still while federal functionaries refuse to appear before congress to answer questions about their official actions while on our payroll.

Our world is being turned on its head.

Mind boggling doesn’t begin to describe it.

Annoying Old Guy Thursday, 27 June 2013 at 11:01

erp;

Yes, there is without a doubt a movement to destroy what we call Western Civilization. I often refer to them as TranZis. I want someday to write a long post about them to address what I find must puzzling — what is it they are trying to accomplish? Random Jottings thinks they are are simply nihilists, who destroy because that’s just who they are. I think it’s more a combination of narcissistic self-delusion and Neo-Feudalism. But some of these people have worked over generations for a result that won’t occur within their lifetimes. What motivates them? What creates this dedication? Are they self aware enough to understand what they are doing, and like the Muslim Brotherhood see it as a feature as long as they are the ruling class? Is Random Jottings right, they see our society as bad and needs to be destroyed? Are they delusional utopianists? Or just bi-cameral style non-concious entities for whom the future is only ever 30 minutes away? I have yet to come to any firm conclusion.

erp Thursday, 27 June 2013 at 11:53

aog, as in much of recent redevelopments, Roddenberry saw it coming. Think The Borg. Did we ever find out who or what motivated their behavior?

I tried to explain my thinking in comments above because I’ve been watching this for over 70 years (I was a precocious reader by age five). These monomaniacs are playing the very long game. IMO they are guilt ridden for having been lucky enough to have been born into comparative luxury (a Turkish pasha didn’t live in the luxury of an average EBT card holder today).

I’ll leave for those in a much higher pay grade than mine to explain why they can’t slough off that guilt and see the damage their goals are inflicting on their fellows, but what I can see very clearly is that the only way we can SAVE THE PLANET is for us pesky homo sapiens* to either embrace hunter/gather life voluntarily or involuntarily down a Rev. Jones Kool-Aid cocktail.

*Of course, the elites aka Homo Invisibilis, who have discarded their bodies, will be living in an aerie on the highest mountains and control the world with just beams from their uber-brilliant eyes all that will remain from our species.

Annoying Old Guy Thursday, 27 June 2013 at 15:33

erp;

The difference with The Borg is that, as an overall organism, it is successful. These people will not be.

James Taranto talks of oikophobia which he uses to mean people who irrationally hate their own people and culture.

“playing the very long game” — that’s what puzzles me. I can understand a corrupt Chicago politician, they get their loot and are happy. But what did the people who spent their lives working on this game plan get? Did they get enough goodies during life to make it worthwhile? That might explain the leaders but not the rank and file.

Bret Thursday, 27 June 2013 at 15:49

aog wrote: “…what is it they are trying to accomplish?

That’s quite a list you’ve got, but I think it’s pretty simple. The tranzis (as you call them) simply have a religion (complete with multiple different sects) and are adhering to it.

Annoying Old Guy Thursday, 27 June 2013 at 16:07

Bret;

I’ve considered that, but don’t most religions promise their adherents some sort of reward? Are the internal psychological rewards of this new religion enough to sustain it?

erp Thursday, 27 June 2013 at 16:35

Aog, how can you say they won’t be successful? They’ve already succeeded beyond their wildest dreams. The problem is their success is our destruction.

Bret Thursday, 27 June 2013 at 17:17

aog,

Being agnostic on the religion thing, I would of course claim the benefits of religion, other than its organizational and knowledge encoding aspect, is all inherently internal psychological rewards.

It’s always rewarding to be able to live your narrative as long as it doesn’t cost too much because of its conflict with objective reality.

Annoying Old Guy Thursday, 27 June 2013 at 18:49

True, but I was thinking of it from the point of view of the believer. Whether there is a heaven for forgiven Christians isn’t relevant, it matters that the Christian believes he can achieve that reward. What is the equivalent for the TranZi, from the tranzi believer point of view?

Annoying Old Guy Thursday, 27 June 2013 at 18:55

erp;

I meant in an evolutionary way, that is The Borg seem capable of sustaining and even expanding themselves. Any tranzi based society will collapse within a few generations and the current one that’s being set up won’t last even that long.

Annoying Old Guy Thursday, 27 June 2013 at 19:01

On this subject, I have been saving this article about how tranzi policies destroy the middle class the tranzis claim to value and support. That’s precisely the kind of thing I mean by “unsustainable”. Once the destruction is complete, the tranzis will be turned out by the real thugs as the society collapses.

I used to wonder if the middle class tranzis would notice this, but it seems not — even when it directly strikes them they fail to generalize in the “if only Stalin knew!” style.

erp Thursday, 27 June 2013 at 20:02

What’s to say? Oh course the government can’t allow regular people to swap used items in an organized way. You know how churches and other organizations used to do things. The clothes, tools, etc. might be germ laden, unclean, people might get sick…

In fact, it’s only a matter of time before garage sales will be a thing of the past just like Halloween candy and homemade Christmas cookies I used to make for all the neighbor kids back in the day.

We’re running around the same track. I think it’s over because more than two generations have now gone through the indoctrination of the public schools and really don’t know any other way. My granddaughter took AP World History this past semester and even though I was prepared for it and I only looked at the text book for the period during which was actually at the table, I was astonished. When I mentioned major omissions like the Hitler-Stalin pact, she asked me if I was sure it existed because it wasn’t mentioned in the book nor did the teacher think it important enough to the course of world history to even mention it in passing. It’s existence changed everything on the planet, but didn’t further the narrative, so it just got disappeared. Another thing not mentioned was that Israel was attackee, not the attacker in the six-day war. Lots more like that.

Annoying Old Guy Thursday, 27 June 2013 at 20:45

If you listen to Obama (I know, talk about taking one for the team …) you can easily see that he is immersed in this idea that there are only two parts of society — individuals and government. The panoply of social and intermediating organizations that Tocqueville lauded simply don’t exist in his world view. That is why I think of them as totalitarian because once you swept those voluntary organizations away, the State may and will do whatever it wants to its subjects. Very few seem to care, as long as they get their cage gilding, which (as far as I can tell these days) consists almost entire of sex and Luddism (but mostly sex).

Bret Thursday, 27 June 2013 at 22:29

aog asks: “What is the equivalent for the Tranzi, from the tranzi believer point of view?

The belief that they are creating Heaven on Earth, of course.