Resurgent French socialism fails — unexpectedly!
Posted by aogTuesday, 23 April 2013 at 10:19 TrackBack Ping URL

Apparently socialism in France is not producing the economic boost the collectivists claim. It’s almost as if it doesn’t work. But remember kids, it’s free markets that destroy economies.

Of course, the resurgent American version seems to be turning out lack luster results as well. Unexpectedly, I am sure.

Bret Tuesday, 23 April 2013 at 12:24

I think instapundit posted about the underground economy in which case you probably already saw it. It shows that overall the economy is probably doing better than we might think, just more and more is off books and out of easy reach of the socialists’ tentacles.

Annoying Old Guy Tuesday, 23 April 2013 at 14:59

I hadn’t seen that but I’m not surprised. It’s a degenerative process though that goes through Italy and ends up in Greece. Going off books teaches people to disregard the government and rule of law and that doesn’t end well. Yet the regulators can never see that, only that with just a few more laws it can be fixed.

Annoying Old Guy Tuesday, 23 April 2013 at 19:18

A recent poll indicates that confidence in the federal government is hitting a new low — how unexpected. More results that don’t count, I suppose. The idea that people might better support a limited government because it could focus on things and get them right rather than failing everywhere because it tries to be all things does not seem to occur to the regulators. Of course, it all make more sense if you start with the presumption that it’s about controlling people to make them do the right thing far more than being useful or effective.

Bret Tuesday, 23 April 2013 at 20:40

Limited government has another potential advantage. Assume that the most angelic people go into government (this seems to be assumed by most of the Left). The smaller government is, the higher level of angelicness one would have. If, on the other hand, the public sector becomes huge, then those evil people who would otherwise be businessmen have no choice but to work for the government, thus forcing government to become ever more evil as it becomes ever larger.

Hey Skipper Tuesday, 23 April 2013 at 21:39

I don’t know what you guys are talking about. What could possibly go wrong with socialism?

Hey Skipper Friday, 26 April 2013 at 00:34

For some reason, I can’t get a link to work, so here it is, longhand:

One more time with that link.

Hey Skipper Friday, 26 April 2013 at 00:36

Link

Give me a break, I’ve been awake for 30 hours.

Peter Friday, 26 April 2013 at 09:42

Give me a break, I’ve been awake for 30 hours

That’s because you live in an oppressive dog-eat-dog society where the capitalists drive you to sleeplessness and suck out your precious bodily fluids. Take a look at that pic of Robert the Dane in your link and tell me Denmark isn’t the epitome of advanced civilization.

I love articles like that, but I shake my head at the refusal of even moderate leftists to see a problem. You think “surely they will agree something is wrong with THAT”, but they either won’t or claim the Roberts represent no more than 0.0000001%, all the others being charter members of the club known as “the deserving poor”. They are convinced to a man/woman that every sensible reform is a feint to abolish government all together. They will call for cuts to the military and blather platitudes about investing in high tech to bring more efficiency to government, but hardly any of them will support any cutback of any service no matter how dated the need or egregious the abuse. I suppose in some ways we should be thankful.

erp Friday, 26 April 2013 at 10:48

A good friend of mine is a native of Denmark. She reports that both her two nephews now in their 40’s went to college, traveled around the world, married, had children and own their own homes without ever having worked a single day in their lives … and apparently, they are more the norm than not.

Bret Friday, 26 April 2013 at 11:08

Peter wrote: “I suppose in some ways we should be thankful.

For what?

erp,

Are they trust fund babies?

Peter Friday, 26 April 2013 at 12:10

Bret:

The left’s [example] of choice in any debate over sanity in social services is the individual hardship case accompanied by mass violins. There is little point in pretending this isn’t often very effective. Robert the Dane is our secret weapon in that war.

Up here the government recently moved to tighten up qualifications for (un)Employment Insurance. The new rules provide that you have to be willing to move or commute up to an hour to qualify. The first person to be cut off was a 30 year old single mom from a tiny town in P.E.I. because she refused to consider taking a job in the capital thirty-five miles away. Talk about fascism! It was outrageous because “there is no public transportation and I need my family to babysit and I can’t afford a car and my ass of an ex who I share custody with won’t transport the kid and so I’ll lose my child, yada, yada. This never happened the other six times I was on EI”. (once for—you guessed it—stress!)

Suddenly she’s a sympathy figure on the national news to the point the Minister had to personally promise the whole country she would contact her to help her. She couldn’t find her, but no matter, she won her appeal, got her benefits and then promptly announced she would use the time to stage a protest in front of the government office on behalf of others sharing her plight.

Annoying Old Guy Friday, 26 April 2013 at 14:44

Drat you, Skipper, I was going to use that as part of my “barrel scraping” series where, contra Peter, the TranZis often pick examples that make normal people go “you can’t be serious!”. E.g., struggling poor with 50 inch TVs and hardwood floors. Perhaps Canadian collectivists are smarter.

Peter Friday, 26 April 2013 at 15:18

Canadian conservatives too. :-)

erp Friday, 26 April 2013 at 15:44

Bret, only national trust fund babies. BTW - their parents, now retired, have always worked, but since they could live well on the dole, that’s what they chose to do.

Annoying Old Guy Thursday, 02 May 2013 at 08:45

Peter;

Perhaps. But clearly the socialists are better as they’ve created de facto thought police in Canada. As the police inspector said

Some of the stuff that Ms. Geller speaks about runs contrary to the values of York Regional Police.

and therefore she can’t be allowed to speak. The tranzis in the USA don’t yet have police powers like that.

Hey Skipper Monday, 06 May 2013 at 14:33

Collectivists debate in their echo chamber.

Gone un-noted was the national security free-ride during the Cold War, and that aggregate statistics frequently hide more than they reveal.

Perhaps, though, you shouldn’t read it if you have blood pressure concerns.

Annoying Old Guy Monday, 06 May 2013 at 14:56

All the calls for “equality” but never the equality of everyone working. I, unlike a tranzi, can’t see equality in “you work and sacrifice your family so someone else can enjoy life”. See Germany for an example. It’s all about The Forgotten Man.