Private corporate matters
Posted by aogSunday, 31 March 2013 at 08:33 TrackBack Ping URL

I find the latest brouhaha about Starbucks rather overblown. If Starbucks wants to be openly political by support same sex marriage, that it is its privilege1. If this provokes a backlash or boycott, that’s certainly not forbidden either. I actually agree with the Starbucks CEO when a complaint about this was made at the stock holders meeting, when the CEO said “If you don’t like it, sell your shares”. Exactly so.

However I have no expectation of any MAList maintaining this appreciation of free markets when the political shoe is on the other foot.

1 Although I think it’s stupid for a corporate to get involved in such a specific and divisive issue, I can hardly say it’s forbidden.

Bret Sunday, 31 March 2013 at 12:53
Well, Starbucks has always had an ideological feel, so it's not surprising that they'd take a stand on marriage. I think it's wrong for for-profit corporations to engage in political ideology, but corporations are even allowed to lobby now, so I've been overruled.
erp Sunday, 31 March 2013 at 14:19
I think issues like gun control, global warming, same sex marriage, Starbucks and all the other peripheral issues are manufactured diversions designed to take our eyes off the ball of power grabbing and takeover of our country by world socialists.
bretwallach Sunday, 31 March 2013 at 17:06
erp, exactly.
Hey Skipper Tuesday, 02 April 2013 at 15:41
Bret: What if a much large portion of Starbucks' customer base is very favorably disposed to gay marriage? And, further, those customers would view the absence of an affirmative statement as the presence of disapproval? If so, then taking a stand will earn the company more goodwill than it cost I fully agree with Citizens United, so I'm not surprised when a corporation takes a stand on a moral or political issue. The MAL will not for a second note their opposition to CU when basking in corporate agreement.
Bret Tuesday, 02 April 2013 at 15:58
Hey Skipper, I'm a stick to your knitting kinda guy. CU is law, so Starbucks can do whatever it likes, but I think that in the long run they and their customers would be better served if they focused that energy and money on product quality. Maybe there support of gay marriage is sheer marketing genius, but I doubt it.