More recycling
Posted by aogThursday, 28 March 2013 at 20:48 TrackBack Ping URL

Deep Black writes about somebody discovering that evolution can be random. My first thought was, how is this different from the Cambrian Explosion? I know Sociobiolgy discussed that very thing, how simple geographic separation can create new species. Heck, didn’t Darwin start with finches?

erp Friday, 29 March 2013 at 08:06
Who's gonna tell Orrin about Deep Black's post. BTW anyone know why yours truly is no longer permitted access to that blog? I haven't kept up. Have our modern genuises declared new hard and fast criteria for determining when a new species enters the building? Organisms adapt to changing conditions and some adaptations survive and some don't ... Unless one subscribes to strict biblical teachings whereby God made each and every everything on the earth (the universe too, I think) independently, what else other than random could be responsible for multitudity of life forms right down to the smallest microcosm we have to continually invent new ways of even finding.
Annoying Old Guy Friday, 29 March 2013 at 09:09
erp; I think he changed it to be for his professional work. I can't comment there either.
Bret Friday, 29 March 2013 at 13:05
I'm lost as to how this differs from the standard evolutionary theory. I don't remember anyone saying that every mutation that survives had to be advantageous. It just has to not be terribly disadvantageous.
Bret Friday, 29 March 2013 at 13:07
I haven't actually tried to comment at Judds' for many years. I don't mind if people ban me or delete my comments, but he edited a comment of mine once and didn't note that - having people put words in my mouth is not something I'm willing to tolerate.
erp Friday, 29 March 2013 at 13:52
I left Judd because of his unbelievably vile statements, of all things, about my mother. I couldn't care less what anyone says about me and my views. Anything else crosses the line. It's David's blog which is telling me that I don't have permission to view.
Annoying Old Guy Friday, 29 March 2013 at 14:35
You can't even view it? I suspect Bret and I can get in because of that failed effort to review ??The Cryptonomicon??. I wonder if Mr. Cohen realizes his weblog is restricted.
erp Friday, 29 March 2013 at 15:24
I can see it, but I get this message: Comments on this blog are restricted to team members. You're currently logged in as erp. You may not comment with this account. Google Account If I ignore it and try to comment, I get the message: Your current account does not have access to view this page. Since he's not getting any comments, he may think we don't love him anymore. :-)
Annoying Old Guy Friday, 29 March 2013 at 16:10
Ah, that's exactly what happens to me.
Bret Friday, 29 March 2013 at 16:41
It is a secret blog, afterall - perhaps he doesn't want comments?
Hey Skipper Tuesday, 02 April 2013 at 16:25
David was getting too much comment spam, and changed his settings. Unfortunately, it excluded everyone. I think it is fixed now.