Not an 8er
Posted by aogSaturday, 15 September 2012 at 17:14 TrackBack Ping URL

Am I a luddite because I spent 5 minutes with Windows 8 and already hate it? I have 11 million pixels of display surface and I use it all. A stupid little tiled window that takes me back to Windows 386 is not really what I am looking for in a modern operating system. I don’t think I’ll be upgrading any time soon.

Hey Skipper Sunday, 16 September 2012 at 19:13

Sounds to me like Microsoft needs to rewrite its OS from the ground up (like Apple did with OS X).

Annoying Old Guy Monday, 17 September 2012 at 08:42

Microsoft has already done that twice - Windows NT and Vista. The OS as the basic operating system is in fact very good, much better IMHO than Linux. It’s the lousy interface put on top that ruins it, Windows 8 being archetypical. Everything I hate about it is due to the interface. It’s like having a Jaguar S-class and changing out the steering wheel for tank like tread controls and removed all the mirrors. It would be near undriveable even though it was still basically a great car.

What Microsoft needs to do is having their GUI and API designers horsewhipped in public on a regular basis until they shape up.

erp Monday, 17 September 2012 at 10:05

Here’s a comment about progressions from a very long-time user — namely — moi.

We went from programs that allowed users to do pretty much whatever they needed or wanted to do. Took a bit of work, but once setup, allowed us to go our own way without “help.”

Next came programs that “helped” us do what the programmers decided/thought we want to do. That was a pain, but we could get around it without too much trouble, so we were able to continue to go our own way.

Progressing through different incarnations to where we are now. Every darn-blasted thing is pre-formatted and there is no way to permanently unformat them.

I am still using Office 2003 and an ancient version of Firefox and am dreading the day this clunker goes to its reward because when I replace it, I’m pretty darn sure I’ll be forced to “upgrade.”

Bret Monday, 17 September 2012 at 13:01

aog wrote: “The OS as the basic operating system is in fact very good,

How do you know? Do you have a source license?

Annoying Old Guy Monday, 17 September 2012 at 16:57

Actually SWIPIAW did a security audit on the Windows NT source code. Officially I never saw it :-).

SWIPIAW, myself, and another co-worker also did a large amount of kernel programming where you interact directly with the underlying OS and that’s sufficient to make a judgement even without the source code. Looking at things such as the memory model, driver loading and interaction, security model, etc. Even the debugging facilities were enormously better (you could hook up another computer over a serial port and do real bugging even on the kernel, something which was hideously more difficult on Unix variants).

Annoying Old Guy Tuesday, 18 September 2012 at 17:26

I don’t like the new “Metro” interface. I like overlapping windows where I can see just the right amount of them to easily switch. Metro forces full screen. So no keeping my Visual Studio window open to all most the full screen with my desktop icons still available. It’s why I bought a large pixel monitor.

I miss the start menu. Now if you load up an application it doesn’t hide its obscure and little used features in a submenu where it is out of the way yet accesible. Instead every menu entry gets put on your start page as a tile. All of them. I have only installed one application and it’s already starting to get crowded. How could this possible work when I have dozens? This also means that every stupid little useless windows app that’s bundled is there as well so I had to spend quite a bit of time cleaning that up too.

You can’t tell it to just start on the desktop, you have to have being on the Metro page and click through to the desktop. Every time you log on.

You have to do a special mouse move, click an icon, then click another icon, to power off.

Quicklaunch is probably still around somewhere but I haven’t found it yet.

Access to the control panel is buried. Currently I fire up the screen personalization, then back up from there to find it.

On top of all of this, it does not, as far as I can tell, actually do anything better than Windows 7.