I thought unilaterism was bad
Posted by aogTuesday, 21 February 2012 at 14:49 TrackBack Ping URL

In step with global fashion.

P.S. There are those who claim that someone on our Secretary of State’s staff hates her and has been setting her up repeatedly (e.g., the Reset Button).

erp Tuesday, 21 February 2012 at 15:40

Ms SoS looks like Mao in drag.

AVeryRoughRoadAhead - Winter is coming... Tuesday, 21 February 2012 at 20:02

I don’t buy the conspiracy theory, or at least, if she’s being set up it’s in ways that she doesn’t find too objectionable.

Otherwise, she’d just shake up her staff.

Annoying Old Guy Tuesday, 21 February 2012 at 20:18

erp;

Yes, I think she’s actually wearing a Mao jacket, thereby getting the style wrong as well as the color.

AVRRA;

I prefer the conspiracy theory to thinking our Secretary of State is really that clueless. Leave me my comfortable delusions.

Hey Skipper Tuesday, 21 February 2012 at 22:25

That has to be Fauxtoshopped.

Annoying Old Guy Tuesday, 21 February 2012 at 23:42

Possibly, but here’s another picture from the same event with SoS Clinton and Australian Foreign Minister Kevin Rudd, both wearing the same outfits as in the original picture.

Hey Skipper Wednesday, 22 February 2012 at 11:24

O.M.G.

Annoying Old Guy Tuesday, 28 February 2012 at 14:09

Let’s not forget this

Class, top to bottom.

Annoying Old Guy Tuesday, 28 February 2012 at 15:14

I was also pondering this and realized that back when it looked like a possible McCain vs. Clinton for 2008, I was willing to give Clinton a second look and thought “how she has fallen!”. What has she done as Secretary of State that’s not a failure or an embarrassment? If putting her in that position was a plot to ruin her political future, it worked. But then I remembered Condaleeza Rice. She was a rising star until she, too, became Secretary of State and that was the end of that. Is there something in the water in that Department?

AVeryRoughRoadAhead - Winter is coming... Thursday, 01 March 2012 at 02:47

Condi’s star dimmed because she was too closely linked to W, and when he became toxic, then so did she.

That’s also why Jeb Bush isn’t going to be the GOP nominee this year, although by most accounts he was an extremely able and popular governor of a very large swing state.

But really, who in the past century has risen higher after being SecState? One must go back to before the American Civil War to find people who went from Foggy Bottom to the White House.

And over the past century, there have been very few SecStates for whom that was not the pinnacle of their careers; perhaps William Jennings Bryan, Alexander Haig, Colin Powell, arguably James Baker… Who else?

So it’s quite similar in a way to being a U.S. Senator or the Vice President - very prestigious, very difficult to rise higher.

erp Thursday, 01 March 2012 at 07:01

Rough, remind us again why Bush became toxic.

Annoying Old Guy Thursday, 01 March 2012 at 19:32

That hardly explains why I stopped being a Condi booster, since former President Bush never became toxic to me, nor to most of the other Condi boosters.

who in the past century has risen higher after being SecState?

I can understand that, but I was pondering about falling hard, not failing to rise.