When the fringe isn't on the fringe
Posted by aogMonday, 17 October 2011 at 10:55 TrackBack Ping URL

The Tea Parties are basically normally people, to which some fringe elements have attempted to attach themselves. OWS, in contrast, seems to consist primarily of the fringe. Can anyone point at me at the non-fringe speakers / representatives / leaders of OWS? Paid partisans don’t count. And let’s not forget the increasing amount of calls for violence from OWS (and the resulting encouragement of the whackos). Old Media is doing what it can to cover for OWS but even they can’t seem to quite manage it due the heavy fringe component.

Given the funding sources for these protests, one wonders why those concerned about fascism aren’t concerned about unions and political parties creating cadres of paid agitators who cause trouble in the streets and call for violence.

P.S. An excellent article on young people who are really making a difference.

P.P.S. Evidence emerges that Old Media isn’t just slanting its reporting on behalf of OWS, but actually working directly with the movement while pretending to “report” on it.

Then there’s the OWS incipient violence as according to a respected pollster, 31% would support violence to advance their agenda. How can you look at them as other than street agitators?

Of course, as others have noted these “protestors” are having problems with people taking their rhetoric of the evils of capitalism and consumerism a bit too seriously. After all, it is other people’s stuff that should be free, not theirs. It’s also hard to take them seriously when some of the items stolen are $5500 laptops, iPods, etc. At least their tarpaper shacks should keep the rain off their consumer electronics.

Annoying Old Guy Friday, 21 October 2011 at 10:35

An excellent quote from Instapundit

Funny, remember how the Tea Party protesters left things cleaner than when they arrived? That’s the difference between a bourgeois revolution and the usual suspects. One suspects it’s also an indication of how the country would fare under their respective programs.

Oh, I don’t suspect.

Annoying Old Guy Wednesday, 26 October 2011 at 09:16

Now we see the violence inherent in the system — such things aren’t a failure, but a primary part of the purpose of these “occupations”.

erp Wednesday, 26 October 2011 at 13:37

Yes and if all else fails and it looks like Obama won’t be re-elected, uncontrolled violence in the streets can easily become a reason to cancel the elections and declare martial law.

Will the army fire on American civilians? Before Obama, I’d say absolutely not, but now who knows what kind of leftwing ideologues he’s put in place to lead the troops.

Not optimistic. :-{

Bret Wednesday, 26 October 2011 at 16:06

erp,

You’re sounding a little overly paranoid to me.

Annoying Old Guy Wednesday, 26 October 2011 at 17:04

Yes, I think so too. Even if that were the plan, there’s no way those incompetents could actually pull it off. First, like every other plan they have had, they have not thought it through, only done what seems good at the time. This kind of thing worked in the 60s, so what could go wrong today? Second, remember who has all the guns, and who is in the military.

They are thugs and bullies and think a little demonstration of muscle is enough. When they get called on it, they’ll fold like the cheap trick they are. The only reason it has ever worked is because their opponents were psychologically defeated before it started (e.g. the campus occupations).

erp Wednesday, 26 October 2011 at 19:14

I am happy to be proven wrong and/or paranoid.

Annoying Old Guy Thursday, 10 November 2011 at 11:47

Here is the kind of thing I meant

He [Oakland developer Phil Tagami] grabbed a shotgun that he usually keeps at home, went down to the ground floor and “discouraged them,” he said.

“I was standing there and they saw me there, and I lifted it - I didn’t point it - I just held it in my hands,” Tagami said. “And I just racked it, and they ran.”

Most of these people are statists because they want the State to disarm their enemies before they attack. It’s people like Tagami who is the real target of gun control.