Once again, I just don't fit in
Posted by aogMonday, 10 January 2011 at 11:33 TrackBack Ping URL

Via Instapundit is this quote about minivans —

The world is divided into two kinds of people: those who, when they have kids, worry they are no longer cool, and those who, when they have kids, think being a parent is cooler than anything they’ve ever done. The latter group will consider a minivan. The former won’t, even if you paint a skull and crossbones on it.

What about people, like me, who were never cool and realized they never would be, so bought a minivan purely for practicality?

Robert Mitchell Jr. Monday, 10 January 2011 at 11:38

Well, you don’t count. Being or trying to be “cool” is what one does to show they are part of the tribe. You aren’t, so you aren’t one of them, and don’t count.

erp Monday, 10 January 2011 at 11:49

We had our Dodge Caravan for just under 20 years. We got it long after our kids were grown. When they were young, we had to make do with a big station wagon.

Most comfortable car we ever had. Drove well too.

Annoying Old Guy Monday, 10 January 2011 at 12:07

erp;

I originally resisted getting a minivan because of problems SWIPIAW’s mother went through multiple transmission on a Dodge Caravan. I had other reports of general unreliability in that class of vehicle. But that seems to have worked out, our current minivan is at 90K miles and running fine.

Of course, that’s my car. SWIPIAW has a Subaru Impreza with a turbo charger.

erp Monday, 10 January 2011 at 14:13

The Subaru Impreza is adorable, just what the wife of a serious genius and successful entrepreneur should be driving. It doesn’t run on corn does it — just asking being you’re out there in the prairie and all?

Hey Skipper Wednesday, 12 January 2011 at 14:29

When our first was on her way, my wife’s nesting instinct kicked into overdrive. In the late 20th century, that translates into minivan.

So, dutifully, I agreed to visit the dealer. With gender typical instincts, despite knowing not heck all about cars, she zeroed in on the most expensive one.

She elected to drive first. Scarcely five minutes in, she surprised the salesman by turning around and heading back: “I’ve driven boats with better handling.”

That was the last I heard of minivans. Thank goodness, because her BMW wasn’t going anywhere, which meant my TR6 would have been on the block.

We made it through with two kids and that ‘92 325i (still have it, at 206,000 miles).

Nothing to do with being cool, everything to do with liking how it drives.

Annoying Old Guy Wednesday, 12 January 2011 at 14:57

I have to say, I found the handling of our Toyota Sienna to be excellent, it’s one of the things I liked best about it. Second would be the built in DVD player. That’s kept us at three children over many trips.