Bringing back voter intimidation
Posted by aogTuesday, 06 July 2010 at 16:48 TrackBack Ping URL

As long as we are commenting on Jim Crow let us not forget the ongoing voter intimidation scandal at the Department of Justice. What’s more important, racial payback or civic principles?

UPDATE: What’s a little encouragement for voter fraud at the same time? It’s hard to see how things like this are part of helping the people control the government, as opposed to which ever gang of thugs gets control of the machinery first. But that’s the Democratic Party, they’re just being more obvious about it now.

Harry Eagar Wednesday, 07 July 2010 at 17:42

Noted.

My laugh for the day: Glenn Reynolds being horrified by Democratic politicization of DoJ. Proving that water does run uphill.

Annoying Old Guy Sunday, 11 July 2010 at 19:21

It just keeps going on — I think we are seeing once again a case of projection. The MAL has spent years accusing its political opponents of doing exactly what MAL supports once they have power.

Annoying Old Guy Wednesday, 14 July 2010 at 09:15

Oh, hey, illegally voting felons may have elected Senator Al Franken. Party of the people, dude.

AVeryRoughRoadAhead Friday, 16 July 2010 at 08:01

I just saw an anti-Elena Kagan ad, apparently sponsored by Townhall.com, which asks: “Should we have a Supreme Court Justice who kicked military recruiters off Harvard campus?”

After some thought, it seems to me that the answer is “yes”. While I’m very pro-American-military, it seems to me that since we’re entering into a period of very turbulent international relations, where the military will be even more used, expanded, and influential in American society and politics than it is now, it may be very helpful to have Supreme Court justices who aren’t military boosters.

Harry Eagar Friday, 16 July 2010 at 16:28

Not to mention that she didn’t kick military recruiters off campus. But, hey, if it isn’t the MSM, it must be reliable, no?

As a connoisseur of the psychopathologies of the American Right, it sure sounds like the mid-90s and ‘30s and ‘40s to me. Completely delusional.

Harry Eagar Wednesday, 21 July 2010 at 18:38

Well, now I can unnote that, since — no big surprise — it turned out to be another bogus scare story.

Annoying Old Guy Wednesday, 21 July 2010 at 19:35

You definitely need to moderate your ambiguous use of pronouns. As far as I know, none of these have proven bogus. Did you get that news from Journolist?

Harry Eagar Thursday, 22 July 2010 at 14:46

NBPP turned up on VC. Kagan has been all over everywhere.

If, indeed, illegally voting felons turns out to be a problem in Minnesota, maybe that explains Jesse Ventura. A serious matter, too, and not only in close elections.

The fuss being made of it, though, carries way more than a whiff of antiblack racism. We’re getting used to that this year, though, aren’t we?

Until about a week ago, I’d never heard of Journolist. Too small a fry to be invited to overthrow the Republic, I guess.

Annoying Old Guy Thursday, 22 July 2010 at 19:07

The New Black Panther Party is posting on the Volokh Conspiracy? That seems an odd choice for co-bloggers. I would also note that I didn’t write anything here about Kagan, so I won’t respond to that.

The fuss being made of it [felons voting in Minnesota]

Why does that have a whiff of anti-black racism? You yourself said it is “a serious matter”. Can we not discuss serious matters if there’s any chanceo a disparate impact on a racial minority?

We’re getting used to that this year, though, aren’t we?

We’re getting use to people trotting that excuse out whenever there’s a politically inconvenient issue.

erp Friday, 23 July 2010 at 07:57

aog, again no link. I read the VC routinely and haven’t seen any posts by black panthers, new or old.

Harry Eagar Friday, 23 July 2010 at 14:37

There was a long thread about the NBPP at VC.

Yes, it was Rough who brought up the anti-Kagan advertisement.

If you don’t hear the dog whistles in Minnesota, that’s to your credit. I hear ‘em.

I hear the Sherrod crickets, too.

The Tea Party has a big racism problem. There are (at least) two obvious reasons it is not dealing with it. But it is not dealing with it.

Annoying Old Guy Friday, 23 July 2010 at 15:14

There was a long thread about the NBPP at VC.

Which clearly shows that

1. It’s an open and shut case about which there is little to say or disagreement
  2. You’re right about whatever it is you think about the subject but won’t actually write

My position (presuming it isn’t yours, for how could I know?) is clearly devastated.

Therefore it is the case that we cannot discuss “serious matters” if there is any possibility you will “hear dog whistles” during the discussion.

I hear the Sherrod crickets, too.

Well, she’s had a rough time, so I am willing to overlook her borderline (and possbily overcome) racism. Or were you referring to President Obama and Agriculture Secretary Vilsask, the people who fired her?

The Tea Party has a big racism problem.

Well, if people would stop simply making stuff up it wouldn’t be much of a problem. I think it’s a good hueristic to say that if group X is accused of having problem Y, and the accusers frequently fabricate evidence, then X doesn’t actually have the problem.

Annoying Old Guy Friday, 23 July 2010 at 15:34

I have to say I can’t blame you for hearing dog whistles from President Obama — one of his own inspector generals hears them too.