Your papers, old man
Posted by aogFriday, 07 May 2010 at 15:24 TrackBack Ping URL

Just a tidbit — Virgina Attorney General issues subpoena to get Michael Mann’s research data because Mann used $500,000 of grants from the state of Virginia on that research. Mann, if you’re curios, was the AGW “hockey stick” guy. And he’s a guy who spent millions of taxpayer dollars on “scientific” research that we, the public who payed for it, are not allowed to see. Apparently even asking is “McCarthyist”.

erp Friday, 07 May 2010 at 15:48

This is so beautiful it brought tears to my eyes. About time politicians started looking out for the tax payer. Go for it guy.

Bret Friday, 07 May 2010 at 15:57

Normally, I would heavily dislike the politics behind this move. I generally think that if you’re gonna give scientists grants to study stuff, just let them do their thing and the only recourse for poor performance is not to give more grants.

However, in this case, Mann has become a very outspoken political advocate of how we should all live our lives. Since he crossed the line from research to advocacy, I think he’s left himself wide open for this sort of thing. He who lives by the sword, dies by the sword.

Annoying Old Guy Friday, 07 May 2010 at 18:41

Yes, but the AG is not alleging poor performance, but outright fraud. Surely not even scientists are immune to normal contract law. As far as I am concerned, the fact that the AG had to subpoena to get publicly funded research at a publicly funded institution removes any cause for even the tiniest bit of sympathy.

Bret Friday, 07 May 2010 at 20:02

Outright fraud? Hmmm. I guess one person’s “outright fraud” is another person’s sloppy research and poor presentation of the results.

We’ll see if they can prove fraud. I doubt it.

Andrea Harris Saturday, 08 May 2010 at 19:29

I like my new state.

As for outright fraud… I doubt that Mann or any other scientist that uses bad data to push their projects does so while rubbing their hands with glee and laughing maniacally like a supervillain. It may be that he fell into the state of mind of not being able to let his precious theory go — because of an unwillingness to be seen as being capable of making mistakes, or because they have a Messiah complex (they must save the world, even if they go about it in the wrong way, etc.), or just fear of having to discard some belief that had become so precious to them (AGW does seem to be “the Preciousssss!” to way too many warmheads) that they can’t imagine life without it, and so on. Academic dishonesty has been a problem for a long time: back in the 30s Dorothy Sayer made it one of the themes of her mystery novel Gaudy Night.