In, out, what's the difference?
Posted by aogSunday, 16 May 2010 at 12:48 TrackBack Ping URL

Perhaps we should start referring to OJ as “prison guard”. After all, according to this post locking people in is morally identical to locking people out, so the locks on OJ’s house are morally equivalent to a prison.

erp Sunday, 16 May 2010 at 14:05

Orrin probably doesn’t have a key to his house. When we lived in Vermont, we never had a key, nor ever locked the doors, but I get your point even though I don’t get his.

Try as I may, I don’t understand his position that it’s evil to notice that immigrants look different even though modern immigrants look very much like us latterday immigrants — we all come in various colors, sizes and shapes.

Orrin might not notice that living in the White mountains as he does.

Annoying Old Guy Sunday, 16 May 2010 at 15:06

I understand his point that current immigrants aren’t that much different than previous waves. What is different is the anti-American milieu in which they arrive. That’s what I was trying to write in this earlier post. As I don’t blame the Wall Street “bucket shops” (to use Eagar’s term) for taking advantage of government created market distortions, I can’t blame illegal immigrants from basically doing exactly the same thing. Ultimately, the fault is ours, not theirs.

AVeryRoughRoadAhead Sunday, 16 May 2010 at 17:12

The Wall Street “bucket shops” created the gov’t market distortions that have laid us low, through their lobbying and regulatory capture.

Prior to 2000, the worst that could have happened was a repeat of the S&L meltdown - which, at the time, nobody thought would lead us future-denizens to think “ah, the golden days of yesteryear, when gov’t ineptitude and malfeasance, when combined with banking-industry miscalculations, threatened the continued existence of THE BANKS, not the gov’t.”

David Cohen Tuesday, 18 May 2010 at 11:05

And more regulation and bigger government will lead to less lobbying and regulatory capture?

erp Tuesday, 18 May 2010 at 11:32

David, not unless George Bush is president again. If that happens, all bets are off. s/off