Precise demographic targeting
Posted by aogThursday, 11 February 2010 at 12:11 TrackBack Ping URL

The “Green Police” advertisement for Audi has been getting a lot of buzz, especially about what the actual point of it is. I think it’s pretty clear — I should have Dream Police on my MP3 player.

Haha. I think it’s clear that the advertisement plays to the central ideology of its target demographic, over educated tranzis. The kind of people who think it’s wonderful to visit that kind of oppression guidance on others but expect to have a signifier of their enlightened state that gives them a pass.

erp Thursday, 11 February 2010 at 16:13

Scared the bejessus out of me.

pj Friday, 12 February 2010 at 09:14

That may be the what the advertisers and execs were thinking, but I think that’s a rather small market. Liberals want to be admired, and what’s admirable about someone who associates with a company that seems to approve of Green Police? I think this ad has got to make a lot of liberals uncomfortable.

David Cohen Friday, 12 February 2010 at 09:42

The green police stuff is so extreme, and so funny, that I find it hard to believe that Audi meant it to be laudatory.

I think there are two possible explanations:

1. It’s just not supposed to make linear, logical sense. Instead, they’re going for “funny, funny, funny … Audi” or

2. They’re saying, worry about the big green things you can do (driving a green diesel Audi) and don’t sweat the small stuff (although I admit that, it that’s what they were going for, they were very opaque about it).

Bret Friday, 12 February 2010 at 10:15

Personally I found it kinda creepy and a little too close to reality to be “funny, funny, funny”. I’m far less likely to buy an Audi and somewhat less likely to buy a German car now.

erp Friday, 12 February 2010 at 12:25

Did everyone see this over at Tim Blair’s blog. Both of our cars are more than ten years old and we need to think about replacing at least one of them, but don’t see anything on the market we like.

Annoying Old Guy Friday, 12 February 2010 at 12:43

pj;

What makes you think the target demographic wouldn’t approve of the Green Police? Especially if (as implied by the commercial) they, the enlightened, would escape? They really are the new Puritans.

Mr. Cohen, Bret;

I don’t think you’re in the target demographic. And further, Bret, the fact that you find it a bit too close to reality demonstrates my point to PJ.

David Cohen Friday, 12 February 2010 at 13:03

I’m in the demographic, I’m just an outlier. But all of the “criminals” in the commercials were relatively affluent white men, which is one reason I don’t think Audi was sympathizing with the green police.

pj Sunday, 14 February 2010 at 19:31

AOG, I suppose they must know their market better than I do. Yours is the most logical interpretation under the assumption the execs know what they’re doing. But it was such a brilliant conservative send-up of political correctness, it seems unlikely that liberals would fail to recognize that. If so they would experience it as an attack on their politics and become uncomfortable.

Peter B Monday, 15 February 2010 at 05:04

Have any of you considered the possibility that they just wanted to make a funny commercial for the Super Bowl and succeeded?

Annoying Old Guy Monday, 15 February 2010 at 10:05

Get thee behind me, Occam!

Peter B Tuesday, 16 February 2010 at 12:36

Nah, I’m just a little slow, AOG. For example, I totally missed how the Betty White commerical reflected a declining respect for the elderly among liberals and Democrats and foretold of their plans to ration treatment under Obamacare.