It's the reality, stupid!
Posted by aogSunday, 17 January 2010 at 23:00 TrackBack Ping URL

Via Brothers Judd we have this insight

Democrats across the country are starting to wonder aloud if they misjudged the electorate over the last year, with profound ramifications for the midterm elections this year and, potentially, for Mr. Obama’s presidency.

First off, it’s unclear what would be different if these people had accurately judged the electorate. After all, surely they know by now and yet they continue on despite seeing the waterfall.

But the truth is, they didn’t misjudge the electorate, they misjudged reality. Their policies simply do not work. I think President Obama in particular is working the levers but the machine is not responding as he expects. The result is a panic and flailing button pushing.

Part of it is that I don’t think the leadership of the Democratic Party could envision the underdog vs. corrupt out of touch officials could apply to them in the position of the latter. They can’t be The Man, they fight The Man on behalf of the little people who should darn well be grateful for it. The American Street may not see it that way.

As a final point, someone pointed out that this race demonstrates the end of the deference for female candidates. I am still so old I can remember when then Senatorial candidate Hillary Clinton won a debate because her male opponent was overly aggressive. Now, after the attacks on then Vice Presidential candidate Sarah Palin that’s all gone. Another example of how the Democratic Party will permanently burn a principle for tactical advantage. I suspect the current situation is in no small part because they’re starting to run out and live on that formerly forrested but now empty plain.

erp Monday, 18 January 2010 at 10:39

… and the same principle applies to black candidates as the races this fall will demonstrate.

Barry Meislin Tuesday, 19 January 2010 at 10:07

I think one should show a bit more—-what’s the word? empathy?—-with the Democrats at this particular juncture of their political evolution.

True, they all stormed into DC, full of HOPE and CHANGE; but there must have been that earth-shattering moment of absolute, eerie silence, when they all stood there, uncertain, uncomfortable, looking at one another, mouthing in hesitant whispers of disbelief:

“Oh my gawd, the voters actually BELIEVED US??.… Whaddooweedoonoww??”

Of course, one’s empathy does not have to last that long (several microseconds is certainly sufficient). Then, jubiliation can be allowed to erupt as the Democratic Party soon begins to resemble a smoldering ruin. (Make that “grim jubilation”, perhaps.…)

Well, that’s politics, folks. (At least, most of them will be able to retire with their heads on their shoulders.…and out of jail.)

Annoying Old Guy Tuesday, 19 January 2010 at 10:26

I have seen so many predictions of the final collapse of the Democratic Party due to its failed policies, elitist arrogance, and flagrant corruption that I will believe it when I see it.

P.S. I also don’t believe that any of them asked “what do we do now?”. The limbic system response would be “grab with both hands and bring a wheel barrow!” which, clearly, is exactly what they did.

Bret Tuesday, 19 January 2010 at 10:46

After the collapse of communism, one might’ve thought that everybody would give up on socialism. But no, it’s an eternal battle, one which requires perpetual vigilance. Same with the policies of the Democrats.

Barry Meislin Wednesday, 20 January 2010 at 02:13

I have seen…

Well, I would agree with you, certainly. But this time I believe it’s different.

This time, the American people have been given a glimpse of the Messiah (in the guise of a Democrat).

And Newton’s third law of (politico/messianic) motion has begun to kick in, as could have been—-should have been—-predicted.

We are talking groundswell. Avalanche. Tsunami. Or in more human terms, gargantuan hiccup. Monumental burp. Humungous hemorrhage.

It won’t be pretty, as the forces of counter-reformation begin to respond (they already have).

And it would help if the President showed some inkling of wisdom, of leadership, of.…honesty.

But he hasn’t. Full stop.

erp Wednesday, 20 January 2010 at 08:43

According to WikiAnswers, in 1808 John Philpot Curran made the following statement often attributed to Thomas Jefferson.

“It is the common fate of the indolent to see their rights become a prey to the active. The condition upon which God hath given liberty to man is eternal vigilance; which condition if he break, servitude is at once the consequence of his crime and the punishment of his guilt.”

Whoever said, it’s even more true today.

cjm Wednesday, 20 January 2010 at 14:08

communism didn’t collapse, it just changed colors.

Annoying Old Guy Thursday, 21 January 2010 at 10:51

Watermelon!

cjm Thursday, 21 January 2010 at 19:07

just so!

any chance of a DIY HTPC post? :)

Annoying Old Guy Thursday, 21 January 2010 at 20:35

“Do It Yourself Home Theatre PC”? Sadly, I do not have one. I am just that much of an A/V person.