Another reason to not exercise
Posted by aogWednesday, 06 January 2010 at 14:37 TrackBack Ping URL

While I was burning some calories this morning I was exposed to CNN which had a story about Casey Johnson dieing young from as yet unannounced causes. I ended up finding the online version while talking of the day with SWIPIAW and found this —

“Everyone please pray 4 my Wifey Casey Johnson,” Tequila wrote. “She has passed away. Thank u for all ur love and support but I will be offline to be w/ family.”’

I instantly made SWIPIAW promise that if I kick off suddenly, she would love me enough to fully spell out all the words in the announcement. So I got that going for me.

cjm Friday, 08 January 2010 at 21:03

there is no joy in mudville, for mighty casey has struck out.

Harry Eagar Sunday, 10 January 2010 at 19:10

I haven’t noticed this on the Mainland, but in Hawaii, the practice is to memorialize the dead with decals on the rear windows of pickup trucks: In loving memory of Uncle Kimo 1945-2008 etc.

It is formally illegal (because you aren’t supposed to block vehicle windows) so I suppose it might appeal to the survivors of bikers and other outlawy people.

On a related subject, I was thinking a couple weeks ago how nothing says ‘I am sincerely thinking of you’ like an emailed Xmas card.

erp Sunday, 10 January 2010 at 19:34

Why can’t e-mailed greetings be as sincere as snail-mailed ones? Haven’t you heard, it’s the message, not the medium.

Harry Eagar Sunday, 10 January 2010 at 22:29

For one thing, about 90% of the ones I get are from people I don’t know.

erp Monday, 11 January 2010 at 08:41

Harry, your replies are sometimes headache inducing.

Why would people you don’t know send you sincere greetings? Are you talking about spam?

Harry Eagar Monday, 11 January 2010 at 11:43

Lots of people I don’t know know me. I am the longest-serving newspaper reporter in a county without television. It wouldn’t happen many other places these days, but I can hardly go to the supermarket without having people I’ve never met come up and ask me about local issues. And the county is a world crossroads.

Some years ago, I was visiting Mystic, Conn., seaport museum with my mother. Neither of us had been there before. A chantey singer was performing in a bandstand, and when I walked up, he stopped the concert and announced he would sing any song I requested. Mom couldn’t get over that.

But it was simple. He’d visited Maui and I’d written a story about him.

erp Monday, 11 January 2010 at 12:28

So then, you are receiving sincere greetings from admirers and yet object to it because although they know you as a public figure, you don’t know them.

Why not write a column about that, I’ll bet it’ll bring the number of unwanted greetings down to manageable levels.