Happy Halloween!
Posted by aogSaturday, 31 October 2009 at 20:28 TrackBack Ping URL

As you can imagine, Halloween is second only to Christmas in this house. But I thought I would leave you two geek jokes, one even seasonal!

Q: Why do programmers get Halloween and Christmas confused?

A: Because 31 OCT is 25 DEC!

OK, let’s try the other one.

Q: Why did the programmer starve to death in the shower?

A: Because the shampoo bottle said “Lather, Rinse, Repeat”.

erp Saturday, 31 October 2009 at 21:09

Okay, I’ll go first. Why is 31 OCT 25 DEC?

Bret Saturday, 31 October 2009 at 22:14

OCT is short for both October and Octal. DEC is short for both December and Decimal. 31 in octal is 3 * 8 + 1 = 25 in decimal.

This is easily the worst joke I’ve ever seen. Congrats aog.

Thanks! Just to be completely clear, “octal” means base 8 and decimal base 10, the latter being what normal people use. Octal used to be very popular among geeks but it has been supplanted by hexadecimal, base 16.

Stephen Judd Sunday, 01 November 2009 at 04:29

My favorite programmer “joke” has always been:

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary, and those who don’t.

erp Sunday, 01 November 2009 at 07:50

Bret, show off!

Aog, I hope we’ll see some pictures of your “monsters.”

sj, I think I get it kinda.

erp Sunday, 01 November 2009 at 07:53

Bret, show off!

Aog, I hope we’ll see some pictures of your “monsters.”

sj, I think I get it kinda.

Hey Skipper Sunday, 01 November 2009 at 22:44

erp:

Just in case, 10 is binary for 2.

joe shropshire Monday, 02 November 2009 at 23:16

The greatest programming joke ever told is this one.

Barry Meislin Tuesday, 03 November 2009 at 04:41

As Hillary goes trick or treating throughout Asia and the Middle East (to a grab bag of pretty unanimously cringing reviews—-albeit from the usual hobgoblins), Victor Davis Hanson chimes in on the latest less-than-hillarious inanities.…

(In which case, our Heroic Heroine discovers—-though with her characteristic self-awareness, she may not readily acknowledge it—-that “the morning after” really does have a remarkable semblance to the Day of the Dead. As she keeps on flashing that winning rictus.….)

Barry Meislin Tuesday, 03 November 2009 at 07:52

.…And at the end of the day, one can’t but be awed by her flexibility under fire, her deft tailoring of “message” to audience, and especially her ability to tolerate ambiguity.

She shows a rare kind of stalwart flexibility. (Well, perhaps not so rare, actually…): a lithe and limber double-jointed rectitude that is refreshingly nauseating, inspiringly insipid, admirably amoral.

Her retreats are brilliant victories. Her confusion cleverly masks a relentless intelligence. She is a sign of the times and represents well her administration.

Annoying Old Guy Tuesday, 03 November 2009 at 07:55

Some more comments about our Secretary of State demonstrating how qualified she is for that office.