Living well, not spitefully, is the best revenge
Posted by aogTuesday, 31 March 2009 at 14:37 TrackBack Ping URL

I can understand someone deciding that he’s going to drop out of organized religion, but this kind of effort seems bizarre to me. If religion and / or the church isn’t important to you anymore, well it’s not important — get on with what ever it is that you do consider important.

It reminds me quite a bit of Satan worship, rather than atheism, because it still accords religion and God a central place, just inverted. It’s also why I never viewed heavy metal music as anti-religous, either, because it is frequently an affirmation of Christian theology. It’s also one of the few things I ever convinced Orrin Judd of, making him re-assess his disdain for the heavy metal group Black Sabbath.

Bret Tuesday, 31 March 2009 at 15:44

It’s tough to be in the minority and have doubts. When that’s the case, the use of symbolic rituals like those described can help strengthen resolve.

erp Tuesday, 31 March 2009 at 20:08

De-baptism is bizarre.

Hey Skipper Tuesday, 31 March 2009 at 20:15

I agree that it is heading towards bizarre, but the CoE’s response takes the cake:

The Church of England said its official position was not to amend its records. “Renouncing baptism is a matter between the individual and God,” a Church spokesman told AFP.

Precisely the same must be said of the baptism itself. The CoE has, in one sentence, torpedoed the raison d’être for baptismal records’ existence.

Andrea Harris Wednesday, 01 April 2009 at 00:08

Well it’s all futile. The Mormons will just re-baptize them all in absentia. And the Muslims will demand they convert to Islam or die when sharia rule comes to Britain at last. There is no escape from organized religion! Bwahahahahahaha!

Seriously, people do have too much time on their hands over there, don’t they? And the funny thing is, I’ll bet at least half those 100,000 people either did or will want to be married in a church with all the attendant C of E bells and whistles, because just going to the marriage registrar’s office is considered low-class over there.

Peter Wednesday, 01 April 2009 at 07:23

John Hunt, a 58-year-old from London and one of the first to try to be “de-baptised,” held that he was too young…

Perhaps Mr. Hunt will go down in history as “John the de-Baptist”.

It was getting too crowded up there anyway. But I wonder whether these fundie atheists will oppose their kids’ marriages into families who take a textual criticism approach to Dawkins.

erp Wednesday, 01 April 2009 at 08:26

My son required a baptismal cert. (and a copy of our marriage license) to obtain dual citizenship in la Belle.

Peter, I’ve missed you.

cjm Wednesday, 01 April 2009 at 13:19

perhaps these people will put their souls up for auction on e-bay.

Hey Skipper Wednesday, 01 April 2009 at 15:14

Perhaps Mr. Hunt will go down in history as “John the de-Baptist”.

Okay, that was funny.

cjm Wednesday, 01 April 2009 at 20:07

skipper, when will you be heading out this way again?

Hey Skipper Thursday, 02 April 2009 at 11:27

cjm:

Dunno.

I was in LA for a few days in the middle of March. I rarely have any plans to get to LA, yet somehow manage to show up at least several times a year.