Geek lust
Posted by aogFriday, 12 December 2008 at 15:35 TrackBack Ping URL

Hey, if any one is so gratified at being able to read this weblog and wants to buy me a Christmas present, this would be really cool.

cjm Friday, 12 December 2008 at 16:57

consider it done.

erp Friday, 12 December 2008 at 19:54

What will they think of next?

David Cohen Saturday, 13 December 2008 at 15:21

That is really cool.

Jack Diederich Sunday, 14 December 2008 at 00:33

But what would you actually use it for? I can think of nothing more annoying than all your keys changing their faces when you hold down the shift key, for instance.

I could see this being useful for instruction: say, learning emacs by hitting M-x and then reading the key faces. But for day to day use it would be pure hassle.

Better to buy a Happy Hacker keyboard (w/ blank keys even!) and just get on with work.

Peter Burnet Sunday, 14 December 2008 at 05:12

But what would you actually use it for?

Suely by now we know geek lust isn’t grounded in practicality.

Annoying Old Guy Sunday, 14 December 2008 at 08:47

Ah, Mr. Burnet, I laughed out loud at your comment, because I long ago started answering that question about any particular object with “is there a single thing I own that I actually need?”.

Mr. Diedrerich;

It’s actually very useful for translators. The ability to instantly switch your keyboard from Cyrillic to Latin can be useful. Having your keys change is very handy for ideographic languages, which require complex chording to get the right character. Having the keycaps change as you change chords is a feature, not a bug. Even for some Latin alphabets, having diacritical marks show up on chording would be nice IMHO. Finally, although it’s overkill, having the function key keycaps shift as you access different applications could be quite nice. Or for gaming, to relabel the keycaps to game specific images (“Fire!” on the space bar).

erp Sunday, 14 December 2008 at 08:56

What Jack said occurred to me too, but I hesitated to say it since I’m just a geek wannabe.

IMO keyboards are already more complicated than they need to be. There are more keys and functions than civilians want or know how to use, e.g., the middle of my keyboard can turn into a calculator!!!! Why?

The keys girding the main keyboard that sport arcane numbers and letters are bad enough, but the tiny little hieroglyphics … ?

That said, I love that a keyboard like this exists for those who know how to use it. To quote Alton Brown, multi-tasking is where it’s at.

cjm Sunday, 14 December 2008 at 17:45

if i had one, i wouldn’t be able to resist writing a litle program/driver that “played” images on the keys.

Annoying Old Guy Sunday, 14 December 2008 at 20:51

You might find this device interesting. Bigger displays, but not as many, and somewhat more affordable.