Connective imagery
Posted by aogThursday, 17 July 2008 at 11:34 TrackBack Ping URL

I have noticed that Instapundit has started posting a lot more pictures because they’re popular with his readers. I do quite a bit of photography myself (with, it turns out, basically the same camera and lens). I rarely post any of them because I personally find other people’s pictures boring. For all of my cold, callous, border line sociopathic personality, if I don’t have a personal connection with the content of the picture it has to be really, really cool before it’s interesting to me. I notice that my online galleries get lots of views (way more than this weblog, about 750-1000 page views / day) from totally random people looking at them. I understand that it’s supposed to be that way, that it (and the other photographic hosting websites) are organized to promote community, but I rarely if ever look at anyone else’s pictures and can’t imagine why anyone looks at mine. There’s a few people whose galleries I have perused, but they’re extremely talented, way beyond my skill level or any skill level I could plausibly achieve, and the skill level of 99.99% of everyone else on the website. But apparently that makes me the odd one out as usual.

Anyway, if you guys would find it interesting, I could post my “best of” pictures, the ones I think could be interesting even if you don’t know the people involved. Or not — I’d hardly be insulted if you have the same opinion of other people’s pictures as I do.

erp Thursday, 17 July 2008 at 12:59

Pictures are nice. I like to look at them for the content, not the artistry of the photographer.

Peter Burnet Thursday, 17 July 2008 at 14:44

Great idea. Maybe you could start with a few that illustrate for me the difference between the strong and weak anthropic principles. I could use some visual aids.

Oh heck, just give us more of your rockets.

joe shropshire Thursday, 17 July 2008 at 14:54

We liked the ones of Princess Alice and the boys on your other blog, but if you don’t want to make those too public that’s understandable. I don’t know if you took the link down or if I just misplaced it.

Annoying Old Guy Thursday, 17 July 2008 at 15:11

No, it’s still there. Do you have any idea what SWIPIAW’s kin would do to me if that disappeared? I don’t advertise it, but I am well beyond the point where the connection could be concealed. You can find it if you netsearch for “Princess Grumpy Pants”.

As for Mr. Burnet —

The main difference is that the WAP is descriptive, while the SAP is prescriptive.

My Green Rage 2 on a G35-4

Yes, it’s a top hat. Not mine, sadly.

Robert C Friday, 18 July 2008 at 06:02

Go for it. Anything that keeps you posting is fine by me. Just don’t forget to keep giving us the benefits of your insight as well.

Cheers

Robert

Annoying Old Guy Friday, 18 July 2008 at 09:15

You’ll have to do with out for a bit. Today is my community service, in which I will help put on a rocket demonstration for the local park district, and help out the local University with a summer class for aeronautical students. Tomorrow is the big conference swim meet, and Sunday is paintball. Busy busy busy.

cjm Saturday, 19 July 2008 at 09:52

what kind of infraction/crime calls for community service and rockets? :)

Annoying Old Guy Monday, 21 July 2008 at 20:22

That’s been expunged now that I have completed my sentence.