Travelocity
Posted by aogMonday, 07 April 2008 at 00:07 TrackBack Ping URL

I am heading out to California this week for the RSA conference and to visit some potential customers. I may write a lot, or not at all. But I guess that’s not much different than normal.

Gronker Sunday, 13 April 2008 at 22:59

So, how was the conference?

Annoying Old Guy Tuesday, 15 April 2008 at 10:53

It was OK. I ended up not spending all that much time there, because there are only so many times you can pace around the same area. I met with a number of potential clients and those meetings went well. And I got some cool free toys for the kids.

My favorite part, though, was twice being able to tell a booth person “Hey, you’ve got Apple!” because iTunes had popped up a “time for up an update” message box over their demo presentation.

David Cohen Monday, 21 April 2008 at 09:23

I hate those pop-ups, especially now that they’re trying to push Safari on me.

David Cohen Monday, 21 April 2008 at 09:26

Which reminds me. What gets into software writers that they think that it’s a good idea to have their program pop to the top and grab the active window when it wants my attention? I hate that, especially when I’m typing along and suddenly realize that I haven’t been typing into the program I thought I was typing into for the last few words. The sooner they realize that I want to be the boss of my computer and it shouldn’t do anything I haven’t told it to do, the better off we’ll all be.

Annoying Old Guy Monday, 21 April 2008 at 09:36

General impoliteness. It’s just another manifestation of the “I’m important look at me!” ethos that seems so prevalent today. That said, there is an actual issue, where if don’t pop up something, you can get the modal dialog stuck behind the main application screen (or some other unrelated window), so that the application appears to be stuck, but it’s really waiting for you to fill in a dialog that you can’t see. The better solution is to make sure that your application’s dialogs stay on top of your applications windows. That’s a bit more work than just popping to the top of everything. Of course, it wouldn’t be harder in a well designed windowing system, but hey — it’s the Dark Empire.