So much for being a uniter
Posted by aogFriday, 14 March 2008 at 16:32 TrackBack Ping URL

With all of the recent furor over the Reverend Jeremiah Wright I haven’t seen a mention of how this will permanently inject race in Senator Obama’s candidacy. I can see the advertisements already, tapes of Wright speaking with voice overs of “Obama’s spritual guide … the inspiration for his book”. However loony Wright’s views seem to most of America, they’re obviously popular and well received in the black American community. The impact of these advertisements to come will have a very racially disparate impact on voters. They might well boost Obama’s support in the black community (although, it’s already so high it might make no difference), but I can’t see how the impact won’t be strongly negative on the rest of the American Street. I think Obama’s long association, and his lack of any concern as recently as early 2007 about the relationship is very telling about Obama’s real beliefs and in that, at least, I expect agreement across the races.

cjm Friday, 14 March 2008 at 19:27

rush limbaugh couldn’t be more wrong, in getting republicans to keep hillary’s campaign afloat. i think mccain can beat either of the dem candidates but obama would have been a more sure thing. it’s clear he’s a died in the wool marxist and has a lot of hidden anger that mccain would have teased out like a champion fly fisherman. oh well.

Annoying Old Guy Friday, 14 March 2008 at 20:51

You don’t seriously expect McCain to go after Obama via his association with Wright, do you? McCain is far too considerate and respectful of non-conservatives to do that, as McCain himself stated not very long ago. I expect any such advertisements to be funded by independent political groups, who will immediately denounced by McCain, who will not notice Obama’s lack of reciprocity with respect to Wright.

Harry Eagar Saturday, 15 March 2008 at 13:24

Most years, I’d have said that a corrupt Chicago pol with a wife repeatedly on the verge of public mental breakdowns, an America-hating doofus pastor and a bedbug crazy foreign policy adviser who wants the United States to invade Israel would not be electable.

However, voters vote their pocketbooks first, last and always, and this year it looks as if by November they will be worried about their jobs and houses and will vote for anyone who’s breathing but not a Republican.

While that will be bad for the country, I will get a good bellylaugh at the thought of all the free-market maniacs who set themselves up for this.

Remind me again why this system is beyond criticism?

Annoying Old Guy Saturday, 15 March 2008 at 13:57

I give up — why is this system beyond criticism?

Annoying Old Guy Saturday, 15 March 2008 at 16:54

Oh, I have to mention this example of Obama defense (via Extreme Mortman) —

“All of the statements that have been the subject of controversy are ones that I vehemently condemn,” Obama wrote.

How very Clintonesque and non-definitive! No specific statements to be called out, each person decide for himself which statements Obama condemns.

I think Obama is going to continue to have difficulty with this, because he’s essentially faking patriotism and his natural reactions after steeping in this for a couple decades are going to trip him up over and over.