Scary thought of the day
Posted by aogSaturday, 05 January 2008 at 10:11 TrackBack Ping URL

I can’t remember where I read this, but someone pointed out that for all of his flaws, Senator Obama is a more attractive candidate than either Al Gore or John Kerry, and both of those candidates almost beat President Bush. I think that may well be true, and I find it a scary thing to contemplate.

Bret Saturday, 05 January 2008 at 10:55

Well, I’ll have to admit, I’d probably prefer a president obama than a president gore or president kerry. It’s scarier when coupled with speaker pelosi and majority leader reid - that’s scary!!!

cjm Saturday, 05 January 2008 at 16:30

keep in mind that Bush (especially in 2004) wasn’t that strong of a candidate on the other side, either. If Obama makes it to the “finals” I don’t see anyone else in the current crop of GOP candidates beating him. Have you been reading about Hillary getting booed - by Democrats ?! That’s worth almost anything.

Annoying Old Guy Saturday, 05 January 2008 at 16:49

Yes. Like any regime built on fear, her dominance seems to have been rather fragile.

Gronker Saturday, 05 January 2008 at 21:50

I have a little bit more faith in my fellow (voting) Americans. I just don’t see 49%+ voting for Obama after he has been truly vetted and smoked (by the Clintons more than the GOP). All he is in his pocket is

a) Health care for all: A unworkable and unfundable mandate that everyone plays lip service to. b) Bailing from Iraq: Another nice sounding idea that no leader of the US will do once they are actually culpable for the result. c) “Change”: Which is code for “not Bush” - which is actually something every canidate can tout.

He sounds pretty, but he has NOTHING.

cjm Saturday, 05 January 2008 at 22:28

i have already heard one reference to “Ceaucescu, with respect to the clintons.

g: do you really think one democrat would be better/worse than another ? they are all borgs in the same collective. now if we could just find the hive and kill their queen…

Annoying Old Guy Saturday, 05 January 2008 at 22:39

Quite true, but that’s part of what makes him being better than Gore or Kerry so frightening. An empty headed crypto-Marxist is still the best the Democratic Party has come up with in three Presidential elections. President Bush has his problems, but he’s no Democratic Party candidate.

Bret Sunday, 06 January 2008 at 01:06

Other than Clinton, it’s all they’ve come up with since at ‘72.

Gronker Sunday, 06 January 2008 at 23:09

If this country actually elects Obama, we are too far gone to be saved, IMHO. It means that someone can come out and just bitch at the status quo and win a national election. This would indicate that we have reached “roman” levels of unappreciating our standard of living and the country in which we live.

Annoying Old Guy Monday, 07 January 2008 at 10:04

Oh, I don’t know about that. The sort of vacuous populism Obama embodies has a long history in our political process. We have survived it before. Sometimes, sadly, only the burned hand teaches.