Mental concentration
Posted by aogTuesday, 24 July 2007 at 16:06 TrackBack Ping URL

I wonder if we should feel sorry for tech support staff. Consider this — the trend over the last decade or so has been to provide additional network accessible resources to solve customer problems, such as downloading new drivers or find a copy of the assembly instructions. Who is going to make the most of use such resources? The clueful customers, who basically know what they’re doing and just need to find a bit of key information. In effect, every on-line resource skims off another layer of people who can help themselves, leaving an ever more concentrated residuum of those truly out of their depth. That’s who the tech support people have to deal with in ever stronger waves. And as far as I can see, it’s only going to get worse.

Bret Tuesday, 24 July 2007 at 23:51

It’ll all be automated within 3 decades anyway. In the mean time, I feel more sorry for the customers who actually have a really hard problem that’s can’t be solved using the other tools.

Andrea Harris Wednesday, 25 July 2007 at 06:41

Yes, squared to the nth power or something! By the time I am set free from my current place of employment (onemoreweekpleeez) I will be fit for nothing but asking “do you want fries with that?”

Oh wait — oh noes, now McDonald’s has debit card things.…

erp Wednesday, 25 July 2007 at 10:30

I read that Dell will give people an option of letting tech support actually access their computers to diagnose problems. Gotta do something. Off shore tech support as it is, no matter the company, is useless, time consuming and most of the time wrong.

Norton’s Antivirus automatic updates was giving error messages, so I called for support. I was told the problem was a virus and I needed to pay $99 for help in removing it. I said no thanks and went to their chat line help, was told what to download to fix the problem. Time taken 5 minutes, cost $0.00.

Tech support sent me a follow-up email to which I replied with a heartfelt message about their incompetency bordering on fraud. No follow-up to that.

When I replace my laptop, it won’t be with Norton’s, but then what? As a matter of fact, which laptop? My old system is being held together with baling wire and gum, so I probably will need to make a decision pretty soon.

Annoying Old Guy Wednesday, 25 July 2007 at 11:16

Yeah, Norton seems to have some quality control problems. My laptop came with the free Norton Anti-Virus, which expired and wanted me to buy the full version. I was actually willing to do that, but the process involved making phone calls and filing forms! Unreal — why it didn’t send me to a web page that took a credit card number, I can’t imagine. I’d be a customer today if it had.

As for laptops, it’s more about luck than manufacturer. I know lots of brands where person A has had nothing but problems while person B think it’s the best thing ever built on this planet.

erp Thursday, 26 July 2007 at 15:56

This week we decided to give up ma bell totally and switch to a digital phone via Bright House. So far four (4) different technicians have been here working on the switch and I’ve been on the phone off and on with tech support all afternoon.

I fear this wasn’t one of our better moves and we’ll soon become another no-land-line family.