Just a little trouble maker
Posted by aogThursday, 26 July 2007 at 15:32 TrackBack Ping URL

Hey, I managed to get myself banned from another weblog. My comments now just disappear in to the ether, presumably via a junk filter. Dare, if you must, to read what I wrote that was so terribly offensive. One of my more intemperate outbursts, the kind that regular readers are quite used to here.

Andrea Harris Thursday, 26 July 2007 at 19:35

Their site doesn’t seem to be working at all right now. Anyway, I’m surprised they’d ban you — I haven’t read them in a while, but I would think their ideology and yours more or less agree. Then again, I haven’t read them in a while.

Annoying Old Guy Thursday, 26 July 2007 at 20:19

It works for me for viewing, and Angie Shultz is still commenting, so it’s not a general failure. When I submit a comment, there are no errors, it just doesn’t show up.

What’s funny is I didn’t even claim to believe what I wrote, only that other people did, in particular the people the original post was about. But even discussing the subject makes me hater, not fit to print. Ah well.

Michael Herdegen Thursday, 26 July 2007 at 20:31

The headline twaddle was “a strong right-wing view”, as they promised with gratuitous vulgarity in the header ?!?

Rot and rubbish.

But congratulations on receiving another “too correct to contest” award.

Hey Skipper Thursday, 26 July 2007 at 20:59

However, not apparently enough of a trouble maker to earn the ire of the Chinese government.

I can still pick you up loud and clear; virtually every other blog gets stopped at the workers’ paradise firewall.

Annoying Old Guy Thursday, 26 July 2007 at 21:21

Remember, the ChiComs use Cisco gear, where I used to work … maybe I just slipped a little something thing in to the code base …

Peter Burnet Friday, 27 July 2007 at 07:14

What is your secret, AOG? I’ve been trying to get you to ban me for months now and all you do is post reasoned, considerate replies. I’m tired of playing second fiddle.

If I insult software geeks in vulgar language, will that do it?

Annoying Old Guy Friday, 27 July 2007 at 10:16

Probably not. I do that myself, off-line. At my previous corporate job, we used to sling insults around as sport. Points were awarded for cleverness and indirection, the best being something that on the surface sounded complimentary, but after a few seconds of thought was seen to be deeply insulting. As a result, if someone else said “you’re expletive deleted idiots”, we’d just laugh at the pathetic simplicity of it.

On the other hand, if someone got a real zinger off, we were more likely to applaud his skill than take offense. I still remember the day our little intern, having absorbed a lot of abuse, dropped a beautiful one liner on me. We all (including me) immediately congratulated her. She was one of us, now.

Andrea Harris Saturday, 28 July 2007 at 08:33

Well now that the site works… I’m really surprised that Silent Running has gone all soft-headed on Islam. I thought the guy that ran it was Jewish. Like I said, it’s been a long time… but that “hug a tree” line has always been at the top of the blog.

Oh well. It’s perfectly useless to argue with someone who thinks that “moderate” Muslims are innocent wittle lambs being persecuted by us mean old non-Muslims. He doesn’t provide any links to his “spat upon/graffiti/made to feel insecure at the border” stories either.

Annoying Old Guy Saturday, 28 July 2007 at 09:41

I don’t mind someone having the opinion that writer does about Islam — I would hardly claim to be an infallible judge of large scale ideologies. It is the inability to tolerate even the presence of dissent that is interesting. It speaks of a deep insecurity, and is archetypical of people professing things because they think they should believe them, not because they really do. Perhaps I’m just too self-analytical, but when I get in such a position, I strongly re-evaluate my positions. If I have to be that defensive, it’s not a good sign about how honest I am being with myself.

Trackbacks
Tracked from Thought Mesh: Here's mud in your eye on 01 August 2007 at 09:46

Mr. Burnet was "complaining of my moderate temperment":http://blog.thought-mesh.net/archives/2007/07/just_a_little_trouble_ma.php#comment_12846, which means it's time for "a gratuitous swipe":http://www.damianpenny.com/archived/009830.html at our not y...