If it's in the market, somebody finds it useful
Posted by aogFriday, 27 July 2007 at 16:47 TrackBack Ping URL

I have finally realized why some people carry around those little voice recorders. I had this great idea for a post this morning, but the distractions of getting the kids ready it dropped out of my short term memory without a write through to long term. Frequently I can regenerate such thoughts, but it takes a lot of time, which is bad because I tend to obsess about it to the detriment of other, just as useful things. I had thought that the recorders were for detailed notes, but I think now that it’s would work to just record a title or a short paragraph, because once I have a handle on the basic concept the rest comes back easily. Unfortunately, I already carry too much electronic stuff and I don’t have good idea that often. But at least I understand my fellow humans a bit better.

Bret Friday, 27 July 2007 at 17:06

Call yourself on your cell or home phone or put your cell phone into record mode and record your idea.

Annoying Old Guy Friday, 27 July 2007 at 17:09

Actually, that would probably work even if I used an imaginary phone. In college I took notes but never looked at them, because the act of taking the notes was enough for me to remember the material. But if I didn’t take notes, I would end up with very spotty memory. Odd, but even an otherwise totally normal person like me has to have a few quirks.

Andrea Harris Saturday, 28 July 2007 at 08:24

I would use my cell phone, or buy one of those cheap recorders, because I’ve often found myself in the same boat as you (I used to get my ideas while driving — usually on the expressway, no place to pull over and yank out a notebook — and then on the bus but I can’t read or write while on the bus because I’d get vertigo), but I have this inhibition about talking out loud “to myself.” Even when I’m by myself. I get self conscious. Except… I’m always muttering to myself, or talking to the cats (which is just like talking to yourself). Maybe if I attached the recorder to one of my cats…

erp Saturday, 28 July 2007 at 10:23

AOG, get used to a memory aid because you can’t be sure that you don’t get good ideas that often. Perhaps you have had brilliant ideas, but just can’t remember them.

Like you I never had to see anything more than once. Jot in down or read it somewhere and it lodged some place in my head permanently. All those places filled up long ago and I don’t know how the empty the cache, so now I can’t remember anything long enough to find a pencil and paper. The worst is not being able to remember words. Easy, simple words, not like the capital of Namibia or how to spell ratattouille.

This is where my laptop, working as it does as my auxiliary brain, is of crucial importance. As the master says, as one door closes, another opens.

cjm Saturday, 04 August 2007 at 09:35

don’t go all Memento on us

Annoying Old Guy Saturday, 04 August 2007 at 13:43

Luckily I am already so backed up with things to write about that forgetting stuff doesn’t make much of a dent. I lack the energy and focus to write far more than material.