Why didn't the same people who hate colorization stop Lucas?
Posted by aogWednesday, 04 April 2007 at 14:36 TrackBack Ping URL

I see that Serenity beat Star Wars in some sort of poll about “best science fiction movie”. I suspect that Star Wars would have won had episodes 1…3 never been released.

cjm Wednesday, 04 April 2007 at 14:53

a lot of people do slam lucas, me being one of them. colorization is one thing, but what lucas does/did is on an entirely different plane. i take comfort in knowing his first wife took him for $100m+ (but i’m not bitter)

Annoying Old Guy Wednesday, 04 April 2007 at 15:28

I should be careful — I have never actually seen the entirety of any of Episodes 1-3. On the other hand, you don’t need to see much of Jar-Jar to make a judgement.

David Cohen Wednesday, 04 April 2007 at 18:09

I like Serenity, but its claim to be serious SF is tenuous at best. It’s more of a Libertarian fable.

Jeff Guinn Wednesday, 04 April 2007 at 18:12

Most of the worst dialog lines ever to appear outside Star Trek showed up in Star Wars nameit.

cjm Wednesday, 04 April 2007 at 18:29

i lked the series (Firefly) but could not get past the old west nonsense. You simply would never have a mix of steam powered trains and interstellar flight. and don’t even try and tell me it was a sign of a civilization in decay.

for my money, Babylon-5 is the best overall sci-fi series ever. The original Star Trek is/was fun, and the new BSG is ok, but B5 is unbeatable thanks to its unified story arc over 4 years (let’s not let season 5 ruin things).

Annoying Old Guy Wednesday, 04 April 2007 at 18:50

Haha, “serious SF” and “Star Wars” together — now that’s funny.

Babylon 5 wasn’t considered because it’s a series and not a movie.

Personally, I would probably have voted for Alien. The Serenity / FireFly booster talk about it’s “grittyness”, but for me Alien had already done that and very well. The Nosotromo interior shots looked like a lived in ship, the only clean room the room only the captain was allowed to enter. The old coffee cups sitting on various bits of instrumentation on the bridge was excellent in setting the proper atmosphere.

David Cohen Thursday, 05 April 2007 at 08:42

AOG: I think I understand the point you’re making, but Star Wars is certainly SF in a way that Serenity is not. It certainly isn’t hard SF — the science that the plot turns on is too malleable, too ridiculous and quickly become contradictory — but at least the plot turns on a point of science.

cjm Thursday, 05 April 2007 at 13:38

Alien is based on “Dark Star” the first john carpenter movie. a lot of people don’t care for it’s hippy-dippy style but i like it quite a bit.

it’s kind of pointless to limit best sci-fi to just movies or just tv, since all media are converging. to dismiss B5 out of hand like that is surprising.

Ali Choudhury Friday, 06 April 2007 at 12:06

The poll on the BBC page had Star Wars beating Serenity quite handily with about 28,000 votes cast vs the 3,000 in the SFX magazine poll.

I never got the hype for Serenity\Firefly. I found it boring, cliched and it had only one character that was moderately interesting, the one with the beard.

Alien was a tarted-up 50s shocker. Bladerunner, much more interesting.

Like cjm, I loved Babylon 5. The first episode I watched featured the captain of the station having to deal with a worker’s strike which was a far cry from the anodyne stuff Star Trek regularly offered. The treatment of issues like medical ethics, alcoholism, religious belief and survivor guilt was far more mature.

I thoroughly enjoyed the Star Wars prequels. They were an excellent illustration of the dangers of big government. Episode III is the best of all six.

cjm Friday, 06 April 2007 at 14:13

if i had to restrict my choices to just movies, then I too vote for “Bladerunner” as the best overall movie. funny enough, Ridley Scott was the director for BR and “Alien” :)