Home improvement
Posted by aogSaturday, 28 April 2007 at 18:27 TrackBack Ping URL

SWIPIAW was watching some home improvement show which was about the The Kitchen of the Fuuuuuuture! The one interesting bit was that the desire for a self-cleaning kitchen and / or dinner ware had been at the top of the desired list since 5 minutes after the first time anyone discussed The Kitchen of the Fuuuuuuture! but had yet to be achieved.

I thought about the problem a bit and realized that it’s quite a hard problem as it requires a lot of precise and complete mechanical action with highly variable surfaces which is a huge technical challenge. My view is that the solution will be either

• Dinner /cook ware as nice as current permanent quality but so cheap and/or recyclable that you just throw it away and don’t bother with cleaning it.
  • Advanced nanotech that allows the surface of the dinner ware to be switched in and out of a near frictionless state making even the worse messes easily cleaned in seconds by a dishwasher.

I think both of these are far more likely than any sort of actual robotic washing device that can handle effectively any dirty dinner or cookware.

Andrea Harris Sunday, 29 April 2007 at 07:29

“Dinner ware so cheap and/or recyclable that you just through it away and don’t bother with cleaning it.”

They’ve already invented the paper plate.

Annoying Old Guy Sunday, 29 April 2007 at 08:13

Ah, that was a typographic error that I have now corrected. I meant to add “as good quality as current permanent dinner ware”. Disposable cook ware would also be required.

Andrea Harris Sunday, 29 April 2007 at 09:59

Well, I’m planning to take a perfectly good set of Walmart earthenware to the dumpster this week. I have too many dishes — a consequence of my female dishmania.

Andrea Harris Sunday, 29 April 2007 at 10:00

I forgot to add — if someone likes it, they’ll rescue it from the dumpster (I’ll just leave it in a box in front), which is what people tend to do around here, so the dishes will qualify as “recyclable.” Not to mention, they’re made of clay, after all.

David Cohen Monday, 30 April 2007 at 18:09

Or something in the middle by having dinnerware (nice, of course) that can, under the proper conditions, slough off the top layer of molecules.

Annoying Old Guy Monday, 30 April 2007 at 19:11

Ooooh, that’s an excellent plan. Even if you needed to slough 5 or 10 atomic layers, it’d still last for centuries.