What I do for fun
Posted by aogTuesday, 27 March 2007 at 10:58 TrackBack Ping URL

While writing a post on another weblog, I discovered a new (to me) homograph: “console”. That makes it a good day.

joe shropshire Tuesday, 27 March 2007 at 14:32

A man’s console is his castle. How was Texas?

Annoying Old Guy Tuesday, 27 March 2007 at 17:51

It was fine, except for the fire ants. We even managed to visit some family while we were there. However, being cruel parents, we made the spawn go without any electronic entertainment for almost 36 hours. That’s what counts as primitive these days.

Jack Diederich Tuesday, 27 March 2007 at 18:39

Care to share? The only new use I found at dictionary.com was “6. An often scroll-shaped bracket used for decoration or for supporting a projecting member, such as a cornice or shelf.” and at a guess that wasn’t the one you were thinking of.

The other uses are as in “I logged into the computer console” and “he consoled the widow.” The first is less common but I’m pretty sure you’ve heard of it ;)

Annoying Old Guy Tuesday, 27 March 2007 at 20:40

Homographs are words that are spelled the same but pronounced differently and have different meanings. Common examples are “wound” (past tense of wind, injury) and “tear” (rip, water emitted from an eye). Two of my favorites are “unionized” (formed in to a union, not in a state of ionization) and “tarry” (to delay, covered with tar).

The two meanings of “console” you list have two different pronounceations — “computer terminal” → kon’-sohl, “to comfort” → kuhn-sohl’.

There is an open issue of whether differing accents make words homographs (e.g., combine — to put together, a large grain harvesting machine) but I don’t think those count.

David Rothman Wednesday, 28 March 2007 at 07:49

My favorite pair is Polish (from Poland) and polish (to clean by rubbing)

Jeff Guinn Saturday, 31 March 2007 at 04:09

desert

Abusing your privileges, I see. This would normally be marked junk because it’s a single word in lower case with no punctuation, but Duckians get a special “not junk” boost. What’s funny is that my response was junked for that reason, since I don’t have the bypass.

Annoying Old Guy Saturday, 31 March 2007 at 08:20