IE — It's Ended
Posted by aogMonday, 26 February 2007 at 17:15 TrackBack Ping URL

OK, I have now given up on IE7. I have tried to use it for months now, and it’s usually a good browser. It crashes more often, but I could live with the somewhat higher failure rate if it, like FireFox and Opera, preserved state across invocations. For the latter two, if it crashes, I lose track of at most a page or two in my most recent tabs. This happens automatically, I don’t have to remember to save anything (although I can if I want). With IE7, if it goes down you have to start from scratch. This is painful for me, since I tend to keep multiple windows each with a bunch of tabs open to pages I am working with on and off. Losing all that state hurts.

IE7 also has some annoying display bugs, worse in some ways than IE6. For instance, the boxes around the dates with posts in the calendar on the main page on this weblog don’t show up correctly in IE7, despite working in IE6, FireFox 1.5, FireFox 2.0, Opera 8, and Opera 9. The funniest bug, though, is one I ran in to over at Tightly Wound. You can’t see this unless you use IE7, but check out this page vs. this page. Notice a display glitch? That’s caused by the “Powered By” line being enclosed in an EM tag. That’s the only difference between the two pages. Experiments indicate that any change in font style has this effect, but not changes in color or even font size. I don’t even want to think about how they coded the layout logic to achieve that effect.

UPDATE: I spent all day today (28 Feb) updating the corporate website with professional looking graphics (after diddling around with it on our own for a year and getting nowhere, we broke down and hired a graphic artist). At least 70% of my time was spent dealing with IE oddities. If I had been willing to live with just FireFox and Opera, I would have been done before noon instead of spending all day in to the evening on it. The only thing that saved me was that IE supports the ability to put in chunks of HTML that are visible only to IE — the hallmark of a clever programmer who knew he was working with incompetents so he put a back door in for other clever people. Thanks, anonymous co-worker despising dude!

erp Tuesday, 27 February 2007 at 08:10

I went back to 6 after only a couple of days of 7 and I’m too chicken to switch over to Firefox or Opera. This laptop is almost three years old and I’m thinking of replacing it with a snazzy new one. What say you to the media madness on new models? I use this computer exclusively for frivolities (no games) and I’d like to access the TV wirelessly.

My current laptop isn’t networking well with the PC we use for work. I’ve had it looked at a couple of times to no avail, so now we have no network and if I want to print something, I have start and stop the PrintSpooler or copy the file to a flash drive and walk it over to the PC.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Annoying Old Guy Tuesday, 27 February 2007 at 09:29

At least the media madness is not as bad with laptops as it is with cellphones.

I use a Fujitsu Lifebook although I probably wouldn’t recommend it for you — it’s optimized for portability which makes it a great business laptop or for someone who has to chase kids around while using it, but probably not so good for most people. I have been happy with it and they have other, more substantial versions.

As far as I can tell, all the name brands are good enough, although I no longer like Sony laptops because every single model seems to have a different power supply.

I would try to get WindowsXP instead of Vista, if possible, because Vista seems to primarily consume more resources for very little benefit, plus all the DRM cruft.

Your wireless problems may simply be an old laptop, as the technology is much different now than it was 3 years ago. It may be possible to buy a wireless PC-card with the new features on it, rather than a whole new laptop.

I don’t know anything about TV wireless controls because it’s been at least several years since I watched it.

It’s trivial to switch over to FireFox or Opera. Just download, install, and go. You don’t need to uninstall IE and you can still use it if you want (I run all three browsers on the same computer).

cjm Tuesday, 27 February 2007 at 10:24

plus, firefox for sure, will import all your bookmarks automagically

Ali Choudhury Tuesday, 27 February 2007 at 15:12

Firefox is excellent. If your browser crashes, it remembers all the pages you had open before.

erp Wednesday, 28 February 2007 at 14:24

Ali, I’m weakening. If nobody ever hears from me again, you’ll know that something went wrong, very very wrong.

erp Friday, 02 March 2007 at 19:59

I done did it, but what about Outlook Express? It doesn’t appear on the navigation bar and where’s the Opera park?

Annoying Old Guy Friday, 02 March 2007 at 20:15

I always accessed Outlook Express from the program menu, not from IE. I have no idea what you mean by “Opera park”. You can get the Opera browser here.

erp Friday, 02 March 2007 at 21:01

I meant Opera part, but I see it’s for cell phones, not for computers. So far, so good about setting up in my new place. Thanks.