Identity prosecution
Posted by aogMonday, 15 January 2007 at 11:29 TrackBack Ping URL

Augh. I made the mistake of going to a hospital for my annual physical exam Friday and I have had a serious head cold ever since. They took a blood sample and as usual left a bruise bigger than my palm. I would blame the nurse, but it has happened every single time for over twenty years, so I suspect it’s more me than her.

Anyway, in my foggy haze of no sleep and stuffy head, I ran in to this post at Hot Air about the Duke Lacrosse case. What I found interesting was how sympathetically the mothers of the accused treated the accuser, one of them coming right out and saying, “this woman has been abused by men all her life, but most of all by Mike Nifong”. Where have I read that kind of thing before?

The best we can hope for now is that Nifong can server as an example for the discouragement of others, as it seems hard to believe that three men are the only people in the USA to have been run through this particular wringer.

On the downside, much of the political support Nifong recieved for supporting the case is from people who openly admit the specific guilt of the men is irrelevant, on the social guilt of their class matters. That’s far more dangerous to the Republic than a rogue prosecutor.

cjm Tuesday, 16 January 2007 at 15:01

you really want to stay away from doctors as much as possible :)

David Cohen Wednesday, 17 January 2007 at 19:00

I have to admit that I find it hard to get past a point that I haven’t seen mentioned anywhere else: what were these creeps doing hiring strippers to come to their house?

Michael Herdegen Wednesday, 17 January 2007 at 19:20

Are you saying that it makes them especially suspect, or are you thinking that they had to make some special arrangements to get strippers to come by ?

Outcall stripping is very, very common.

cjm Wednesday, 17 January 2007 at 20:34

dc: i take it you’ve never been to a good batchelor party. not sure what relevance your point has to the mis-carriage of justice, nifong conducted. it would be kind of funny, if the father of the stripper baby turned out to be nifong.

Annoying Old Guy Wednesday, 17 January 2007 at 20:37

It certainly was when I went to college. My friend the Intrepid Girl Reporter hired one for my bachelor party (because she was the Best Person for my wedding) and it was common for other bachelor parties. As far as I could tell, though, the primary purpose of the stripper was to provide a focus for abusing and mocking the guest of honor.

Mr. Cohen;

I am such a killjoy in high school that when some friends told me I wasn’t invited to a party because it wouldn’t have been fun for the other guests, I thought “well, duh!”. I played electronic “Rock, Scissors, Paper” all night to celebrate my 21st birthday. I made it through 4 years of college without knowing what marijauna smelled like. I thought that made me the über-Urkel. But at least I had a stripper at my bachelor party. I therefore yield my crown to you.

Brit Thursday, 18 January 2007 at 03:41

AOG:

“I played electronic “Rock, Scissors, Paper” all night to celebrate my 21st birthday.”

I think that is the most heartbreaking sentence I have ever read. Do you mind if I use it in my next novel?

Annoying Old Guy Thursday, 18 January 2007 at 08:04

No. Go for it.

Although, to be completely honest, technically I didn’t play. I was actually running some other code which played for me, to rack up a record number of games, as a demonstration of my coding and system knowledge skills. I had to run at night because it took so such system time that I would have been busted during the day.

Brit Thursday, 18 January 2007 at 08:10

Thanks - I’ll stick with the poetic license version rather than the strictly accurate one.

I want heartbreaking, not catastrophic.

cjm Friday, 19 January 2007 at 01:00

when did you learn what mj smells like :) ?

Annoying Old Guy Friday, 19 January 2007 at 09:12

I’m not really sure. While I was in graduate school, I think.

cjm Friday, 19 January 2007 at 09:52

i don’t think there is anything sad about how you spent your birthday, or anything else about your early life. where we are (or who we are) at 17 or 21 is not the test. al bundy was a star at age 17. you have a good life now, and i bet you are much happied with your life now than most of your h.s. contempoaries.

i had an interesting perspective, growing up in a wealthy community, while not being wealthy myself. in most of the families, the parent were totally self-involved, and the kids left pretty much to fend for themselves emotionally. some did ok, most did not. the children of successful people are rarely successful themseles, and are often outright failures (when they don’t od out early). you do get to go on some nice vacations though :)

Annoying Old Guy Friday, 19 January 2007 at 10:07

Neither do I. I thought it was fun (and still do). Being a teetotaler, I could hardly celebrate my 21st the standard way. But it still makes me not much of a “party” kind of guy.

David Cohen Friday, 19 January 2007 at 14:24

Well, I’d gladly accept the crown and I didn’t have a stripper at my bachelor party. I have been to strip clubs at other people’s bachelor parties and even when there wasn’t any bachelor party to blame. I’ll even admit to not always being able to keep the pose of ironic detachment that one would hope to express at such times. None of that means that the lacrosse kids weren’t creeps.

Jeff Guinn Friday, 19 January 2007 at 15:13

None of that means that the lacrosse kids weren’t creeps.

Or that they were.

Based on what has gone on so far, it appears that any accusation as to the team’s behavior has to be taken with at least one eyebrow cocked.

Annoying Old Guy Friday, 19 January 2007 at 15:55

I don’t think there’s any doubt that the team, with forethought, arranged for a stripper to come to the party and strip. Everyone involved has confirmed that. Mr. Cohen’s view is that that is sufficient to make them creeps. While I respect his judgement, I have taken my cue from SWIPIAW, a veritable pillar of rectitude, who found it amusing.

Michael Herdegen Friday, 19 January 2007 at 20:21

…not always being able to keep the pose of ironic detachment that one would hope to express at such times.

I must be far less sophisticated than are you, because I thought that the point of going to a strip club was to celebrate the fact that women are so fine to gaze upon, especially if they’re selected for physical beauty, which is generally, (but not always), the case in strip joints. Being ironically detached in such circumstances strikes me as a waste of a cover charge, and possibly a two-drink minimum.

cjm Friday, 19 January 2007 at 21:08

one time, while i was in dallas for a trade show, a bunch of us went to this sad little joint near the hotel. the beer was watered down, and the dancers were less than first tier, but it wasn’t without a certain rustic charm. one of the highlights was some guy getting thrown out by the bouncers because he actually thought the $80 bottle of “champagne” would get him his 72virgins :) anyway, this girl comes over to where i was sitting (with a couple of bucks waving gently in the air). as she reaches for the dough, i lower my hand — causing her to say “it’s illegal in texas to bend over while nude”. and i reply “you aren’t nude, you have shoes on”. she laughed but wouldn’t go any further, so i bought a beer with the money.

dc: i am curious about the specifics of the durham case that cause you to label the defendants “creeps”; it can’t be for the simple matter of them hiring strippers, so what is it ?