Don't look up my sleeve
Posted by aogTuesday, 16 January 2007 at 08:33 TrackBack Ping URL

This post at Brothers Judd was amusing. Judd disputes the concept of losing in Iraq by pointing out the unlikelihood of a resurgent Sunnia based totalitarian regime in Iraq. That’s like arguing that we couldn’t lose Vietnam to Communism because the Maosists there and in China would never allow it to be conquered by Troskyites. The concept of a Shiite totalitarianism (such as in Iran) continues to elude him, although his obvious defensiveness on the subject might indicate otherwise.

Jeff Guinn Tuesday, 16 January 2007 at 22:30

Hmmm.

An internal population of 2 million can easily be dominated by 70 million.

Doesn’t seem to play very nicely with the trope that if a group considers themselves a nation, they are.

Annoying Old Guy Wednesday, 17 January 2007 at 09:07

I am sure the response would be that the Arab Sunni in Iran do not think of themselves as a nation, but as part of universalist religion.

Jeff Guinn Thursday, 18 January 2007 at 17:25

Which is relevant to who governs whom how?

Never mind. Don’t know why I even bothered to ask.

Annoying Old Guy Thursday, 18 January 2007 at 17:56

That’s why I make posts here instead of comments there.

Tom C. Friday, 19 January 2007 at 07:58

We all have blind spots. Judd’s political/ideological determinism from the right is certainly different. His lapsing into these equivocations between traditional Shia pseudo philsosophy and Judeo/Christian theology, however, are becoming dangerously absurd.

Annoying Old Guy Friday, 19 January 2007 at 09:16

I think those lapses are driven by OJ’s unwillingness to accept that some of his excellent insights are not 100% true in all places and times. So I read the insights and process the exceptions elsewhere.

Tom C. Friday, 19 January 2007 at 16:35

Excellent insights abound although Islam is a blindspot.