Martha and Mary's progeny revisited
Posted by aogWednesday, 08 November 2006 at 15:50 TrackBack Ping URL

To counter the attempts to portray the election results as anything other than a serious setback for the GOP and the nation as a whole, let me set out the following prediction —

The Democratic Party will engage in various hysterics and meaningless legislation while silently letting serious efforts (such as stabilizing Iraq) die on the vine through neglect. Our enemies, emboldened by the election results and this fecklessness, will begin setting new plots in motion to attack the USA and its assets. These plots will take a while to mature, the bill coming due just after the GOP recovers control of the government, thereby teaching the two lessons

• terror attacks happen on the GOP’s watch
  • the Democratic Party need never concern itself with proper governance because the tides of history and luck will protect it from any ill consequences

Pleasant dreams!

P.S. Melanie Phillips has come to the same conclusion.

UPDATE: Dame Eliza Manningham-Buller, director-general of MI5, is on the same page as well.

Peter Burnet Thursday, 09 November 2006 at 05:05

Actually, that assumes a complete absence of strategic rationality among the Islamicists, which we have tended to believe for five years to our cost. It seems to me they will now be able to do pretty much anything they want anywhere they want provided they are shrewd enough not to attack the USA.

Annoying Old Guy Thursday, 09 November 2006 at 07:34

Mr. Burnet;

I actually think it’s the exact opposite, that we have presumed some level of strategic rationality and paid the price for that. As far as I can see, the Caliphascists attack whenever they are capable of it, regardless of the strategic implications. Sometimes they get lucky in the effects (as in Spain) and sometimes they lose big (as in the USA and the UK).

Moreover, I think it far from implausible that the recent elections and their aftermath won’t convince them that their attacks are working and it’s now time for the final “death blow” to fully humble the USA. That would be far more consistent with their previous strategic sense than the type of restraint you describe.

Peter Burnet Friday, 10 November 2006 at 05:23

AOG:

They are winning and we are not. Not bad for a gang lacking strategic rationality.

cjm Friday, 10 November 2006 at 08:52

yes, it seems they already have a beach head established in north america.

Annoying Old Guy Friday, 10 November 2006 at 09:15

But, Mr. Burnet, Orrin Judd tells us we’ve already won. Are you implying that assessment of his is in error?

Peter Burnet Friday, 10 November 2006 at 11:54

Nope, Orrin is just four wars ahead of the rest of us.

Annoying Old Guy Friday, 10 November 2006 at 12:10

Too nuanced for me, that our enemies can be winning this war when we have already won it and the next three besides.

Peter Burnet Friday, 10 November 2006 at 18:50

Imagination never was your strong point, was it AOG?

Andrea Harris Friday, 10 November 2006 at 19:21

Well, for my part, I can “imagine” all sorts of things. What I can’t do is just make shit up and convince myself that it’s real. I’ve noticed that lots of people seem to think that this particular disability, which was once known as “being sane,” is actually evidence of “lack of imagination.” Are you one of these people, Mr. Burnet?

If so, in a way I sympathize. Reality can be a hard thing to bear without the consoling capability of self-delusion. Dream on!

Annoying Old Guy Friday, 10 November 2006 at 19:51

Mr. Burnet;

Not in public, at any rate. Didn’t this bit make it clear?

Peter Burnet Friday, 10 November 2006 at 20:16

Andrea:

Wow. I take opposite sides of the argument on the same thread and still I’m delusional. This blogging thing is tough!

AOG:

Good man! Real men don’t need imagination. :-)

Jeff Guinn Saturday, 11 November 2006 at 01:20

Nope, Orrin is just four wars ahead of the rest of us.

How can that be? He is incessantly re-fighting WWII.