I'm sure they'll come up with something
Posted by aogFriday, 10 November 2006 at 21:06 TrackBack Ping URL

I have seen this story about NYC making gender a matter of personal choice on several different weblogs now. It seems ike it’s a setup for some serious internal clashes within the MAL. What happens to affirmative action and gender quotas if gender is a personal choice? Why not switch genders to get women / minority status? It seems especially attractive if only NYC recognizes the change. I can’t wait for the rhetorical twists that will be required.

Jeff Guinn Saturday, 11 November 2006 at 01:10

If gender, why not race?

Who knew the MAL would glaringly highlight the already obvious absurdity of affirmative action.

Natalie Solent Saturday, 11 November 2006 at 12:04

Excellent point, Jeff Guin.

AOG, I know what MAL means when you use it (something like MSM, but more pejorative) but I’ve forgotten what the letters stand for. Could you add it to your list of definitions? Or have I missed something obvious?

Natalie again Saturday, 11 November 2006 at 12:05

D’oh! I also meant “excellent point, AOG”, of course.

Annoying Old Guy Saturday, 11 November 2006 at 13:27

Ms. Solent;

“Modern American Left” — that should pop up if you hover your cursor over the “MAL” (⇐ should work too). Any time I use jargon like that, I try to remember to link it or set it up for a hover text explanation. Should I do something more like MAL Modern American Left ? (Click on the little icon to see how that works — cuter, but not as widely portable)

Mr. Guinn;

That’s something I have always wondered about. I have yet to have anyone show me what the legel definition of race in America is. Because of that, I seriously don’t see why that hasn’t already been tried. I have touched on that before but have yet to see a valid response.

David Cohen Monday, 13 November 2006 at 09:18

Basically, we use the one drop rule.

David Cohen Monday, 13 November 2006 at 14:28

Oh, and isn’t the point of the New York rule to backdoor gay marriage?

Steven Wood Monday, 13 November 2006 at 14:48

Hi AOG again - what does MSM stand for ?

Annoying Old Guy Monday, 13 November 2006 at 15:18

Mr. Cohen;

Yes. That’s what comes from an incoherent philosophy, you end up doing tripping over your own initiatives.

Mr. Wood;

“Main Stream Media”. I prefer to use the term “Old Media”.

Jeff Guinn Monday, 13 November 2006 at 23:45

backdoor gay marriage.

Am I the only one here who finds that phrasing somewhat, ummm, unfortunate?

cjm Friday, 17 November 2006 at 01:54

ward churchill

cjm Saturday, 18 November 2006 at 01:29

more appropo than unfortunate :)