So says the Judd
Posted by aogTuesday, 03 October 2006 at 15:21 TrackBack Ping URL

I think I need to start a series of quotes of the truly bizarre conceptual traps Orrin Judd sets for himself. It’s one of those things that starts small but over time builds in to a monument. To what, I am not sure, but sometimes you just need to go with the flow.

Today’s quote

And why no grownup believes in thermodynamics.

So much for the entire engineering and scientific population. I am stunned that OJ is willing to ride around on transportation designed and built by non-grownups. One of the tribulations of modern life, I suppose.

jefferson park Wednesday, 04 October 2006 at 11:17

Orrin probably redefined the term “thermodynamics” to mean something entirely different than what the engineering and scientific communities think it means.

He does that a lot.

JP

cjm Wednesday, 04 October 2006 at 11:40

given that he doesn’t actually understand the term or the science behind it, what he is really saying is:

And why no ignorant grownup believes in thermodynamics

Peter Burnet Wednesday, 04 October 2006 at 15:37

That’s the great thing about having so many good blogging friends. I can disbelieve in thermodynamics over at Brothersjudd without understanding it at all and then come over here and believe in it faithfully without understanding it any better.

Is this a great country or what?

cjm Wednesday, 04 October 2006 at 17:42

it’s the best of all possible worlds

Jeff Guinn Wednesday, 04 October 2006 at 21:46

Slightly, only a little, OT, at Increasingly Dubious, OJ asserted no US passenger airlines had bought the plane because no American City would let it land.

So I challenged him to a friendly wager, which degenerated into the typical misdirection until POOF all gone.

Anyway, back on topic. There was a similar trope, which I haven’t seen for the better part of a year now, where he asserted that the Uncertainty Principle proved nothing existed until we observed it.

I haven’t seen it since I pointed out that, in the context of the UP, “observation” doesn’t mean what he thought it meant.

Annoying Old Guy Wednesday, 04 October 2006 at 22:14

Ah yes, I saw the early part of that before it was dropped down the memory hole.

I thought it amusing when he posted about the air crash in Brazil, which proved the exact opposite of his original thesis, that it was the plane manufacturer that mattered, it being a Brazilian airline and a Boeing plane (a point I and others argued and he mocked).

Why he feels so overwhelming a need to be right on such trivialities is the odd thing. If it were, say, the divinity of Jesus, I could understand. But the A-380 and the constancy of the speed of light? Just a bit obscure.

Brit Thursday, 05 October 2006 at 05:28

In American terminology, I think you would say he ‘has issues’.

cjm Thursday, 05 October 2006 at 10:00

it all comes back to being a kept man

David Cohen Friday, 06 October 2006 at 07:44

Or the blog is just a big chain yank.

cjm Friday, 06 October 2006 at 10:53

anyone who spends that much time and energy yanking people’s chains is pathological. is that your opinion of the old crank, that he’s so far gone mentally that he would engage in such a onastic endeavour ?

David Cohen Friday, 06 October 2006 at 13:18

Without adopting your characterization, I think that a surprisingly large portion of the blog is chain-yanking.

jefferson park Friday, 06 October 2006 at 13:26

If that’s the case David why the need for a “memory hole”? Chain-yanking to me presupposes a tongue-in-cheek attitude. I don’t see that over at BJ at all.

jp

Annoying Old Guy Friday, 06 October 2006 at 13:51

Yet, still he fascinates us all.

Peter Burnet Friday, 06 October 2006 at 18:17

AOG:

And yet, that doesn’t seem to be good enough for many, does it?

Annoying Old Guy Friday, 06 October 2006 at 18:49

I think there’s an understandable bit of bitterness on the part of people who contributed for years yet were discarded when they became inconvenient. I, personally, am much prone to bitterness but I try to not let it completely dominate my point of view.

David Cohen Thursday, 12 October 2006 at 07:41

Jefferson: Comment deleting seems to be OJ’s most successful form of chain-yanking.

Annoying Old Guy Thursday, 12 October 2006 at 08:47

It seems to me that OJ could do better than to succeed at yanking the chains of people who contribute in good faith.