Compute bound
Posted by aogFriday, 25 August 2006 at 20:06 TrackBack Ping URL

Ah, it’s been an intense week for me, doing some hardcore code slinging, trying to get our product to alpha state. I am just too clever for my own good, I think. I spend too much time saying, “you know, if I just moved this over here and slapped an abstraction in over there, it would be so cool!”. I also like to touch compilers in inappropriate ways, which usually leads to trouble.

For instance, part of the work involves worknig with intervals. I have a template class that converts a class with certain numeric properties (the metric) into an interval class. The question was, can the interval template compute a maximal interval (one that contains all values of the base metric class)? One option was to use std::numeric_limits and the other to use static class members named MIN and MAX. Naturally, I tweaked up the template to detect this at compile time to avoid the issue (each metric can do as it likes, and the builtin integral types work without any additional effort).

I have to say, though, that the Dark Empire’s current development environment (DevStudio 2005) shows a lot of improvement in the compiler and intelligence of the debugger. I know people rave about Linux, gcc, and Eclipse but they’re just not in the same league. For instance, SWIPIAW doesn’t like me to use certain STL algorithms (like for_each) because they are impossible to debug on Linux. Even if I were building Linux only applications, I would still do the primary development on a Win32 platform and then port.

Peter Burnet Tuesday, 29 August 2006 at 12:16

AOG:

I have read and re-read this post everyday since you first posted it. I’ve tried it when tired, sad, happy, aggressive and even once when a little tipsy. I am in awe, truly. Never have I ever read anything that screamed “genius” at me so loudly even though I couldn’t understand one word.

Brit Tuesday, 29 August 2006 at 12:40

I got lost after the word ‘some’ in the first sentence. But it’s a fascinating post nontheless. Like reading Chapter 3 of Ulysses.

Annoying Old Guy Tuesday, 29 August 2006 at 13:33

Mr. Burnet;

Thank you. That’s a better response than I get from SWIPIAW when she has to port the code over to her environment.

Brit;

Hmmm. I’ve always wanted to write a novel…

All;

Thanks for reading my vent. I may feel strongly about evolution, politics, American foreign policy, society, and culture, but I am passionate about my code.

Peter Burnet Tuesday, 29 August 2006 at 17:49

AOG:

Do you mean to tell me this is all about a little spat bewteen you and the missus? Boy, am I ever thick. I thought it had something to do with computers.

Annoying Old Guy Tuesday, 29 August 2006 at 18:52

Heh. Computers are what we have spats about — she’s a professor who teaches computer security. Don’t you argue law with the missus?

Peter Burnet Tuesday, 29 August 2006 at 19:23

I sure do, although I must say it never seems to bear much resemblance to the law I argue about at the office.

Peter Burnet Wednesday, 30 August 2006 at 14:01

AOG:

This might give you a few ideas on how to get the fame and glory you obviously deserve.

Annoying Old Guy Wednesday, 30 August 2006 at 14:54

Are you implying that this weblog isn’t bringing me the fame and glory I deserve?