Biblical cars
Posted by aogSaturday, 29 July 2006 at 19:20 TrackBack Ping URL

PapayaSF comments in one of many anti-car threads

If only I knew the Bible well enough to somehow prove that cars were squarely in the Abrahamic tradition

It seems obvious to me. Cars are the modern analog of horses and burros. Biblical characters didn’t wait for caravans or wagons. They hitched up their own, personal transports and headed off. The State, such as it was, maintained the tracks and paths for these personal transports, just as is done today. It seems clear that our current car based culture is far more similar to Biblical tradition than a train / bus based mass transport culture would be. Ony a committed secularist could think the latter a good thing.

Jeff Guinn Saturday, 29 July 2006 at 19:35

Only a schizophrenic could simultaneously laud the personal wealth in home ownership, then advocate a course of action that would, by necessity, completely destroy that wealth.

There is no alternative, so far as I know, to a many source - many sink residential/work pattern other than stack-a-prole flats.

Of course, there could be a deep aversion to personal freedom underlying all this; ironic, for an alleged anti-statist.

Annoying Old Guy Saturday, 29 July 2006 at 19:55

OJ is hardly anti-statist. I suspect he objects to Socialism only because it’s secular, not because it exerts too much control over people’s lives. I have yet to see any action by the current GOP controlled federal government to extend the reach and scope of government power to which OJ has objected.

Jeff Guinn Sunday, 30 July 2006 at 00:01

Which leaves the grotesque disconnect between wealth in home ownership, and destroying said wealth.

daniel duffy Sunday, 30 July 2006 at 08:26

Hello Jeff, have you been kicked off of Bros. Judd too?

Jeff Guinn Sunday, 30 July 2006 at 18:24

Daniel:

Pretty much.

But given the insulting, dismissive, ad-hominem nature of my comments, I am sure you can see why.

daniel duffy Sunday, 30 July 2006 at 20:39

Orrin really has gone off the deep end hasn’t he? Or was he always a nut case and just needed a little time to show it? I can’t imagine what his Jewish wife must think of his love of Shiites and wish that the Nazis had won, not to mention his desire to “happily” kill gays. Near as I can tell, with the exception of Cohen, he seems to be surrounded now by an echo chamber of syncophants.

Brit Monday, 31 July 2006 at 09:57

Daniel:

Orrin is no more or less of a ‘nut case’ than he ever was, but he now wants to turn pro and be a serious pundit, so he thinks he can no longer afford to lose arguments.

The Daily Duck is a retirement home for fellow excommunicated incommunicado ex-commenters on the Bros Judd. You’re welcome to join us for uncensored rambling.