Spiritual immune deficiencies
Posted by aogMonday, 27 March 2006 at 10:48 TrackBack Ping URL

So Orrin Judd finally got on my bandwagon and has started to use the term Caliphascist. I do need to update that original post because I think the term has aged well. It has become much clearer to me that Caliphascism doesn’t just resembly Europe facism, but is in fact a direct descendant of it. It’s not hard to trace specific people and their beliefs from the first half of the 20th Century in Europe to the latter half in the Middle East. A bit of editing (e.g. “Arab” for “Aryan”) and there you are. It does seem a bit odd that Arabia would adopt the losing ideology of WWII, but it’s clear how that ideology benefited the promoters of it, regardless of its effects on the masses.

It is interesting that fascism mixed so well with Islam. In Europe it mated more with nationalism (Italian Fascism) or paganism (Nazi Germany). I think this is because Islam has much more of a “will to [temporal] power” than Christianity or Judaism, and that Islam is far more of a totalizing belief system. That makes grafting on Fascist “technology” much easier. One need only apply that memetic technology to somewhat different ends.

This thesis fits in well with my view that Islam’s problem isn’t so much that Caliphascism is intrinsic but that Islamic practice is easily infected with such self-destructive memes. It simply does not have the immune system necessary to operate in our modern world with its rapid and mass communication systems.

Jeff Guinn Monday, 27 March 2006 at 17:37

AOG:

And from all the time I have spent at Orrin’s place, I thought fascism was what you got after shucking religion.

I think I’m going to have to buy a new irony meter.

Annoying Old Guy Monday, 27 March 2006 at 18:35

I think fascism is more of a reversion to tribalism, which is another reason it meshed so well with Arabic Islam.

I think it would be nice to be able to move beyond religion to a true libertarian style civilization, but in my old age I have become increasingly convinced that it is simply not sustainable with the current version of humanity. However, if with sufficient nano, bio and info tech I could clone myself enough times to form a civilization…

toe Tuesday, 28 March 2006 at 14:08

islam the religion is a “wrapper” for islam the political system. the former is now being used to introduce the latter by stealth. i really don’t see how the two aspects can be separated and still be called islam.

Annoying Old Guy Wednesday, 29 March 2006 at 09:40

No, but it’s still a question of what is the entire envelope of possible political systems that are compatible with Islam as a religion. The Judeo-Christian envelope includes both liberal democracy, authoritarianism and theocracy. The key question for a clash of civilizations is how much overlap there is in those envelopes.

toe Wednesday, 29 March 2006 at 14:46

islam insists on a fight to the death with every other political system going, so there is 0 middle ground for co-existence. why the non-muslim part of the world can’t see it, is a mystery to me. luckily it is so uncompetitive that it will expire pretty much on its own, over the next 2 - 3 generations.