The Lair
Posted by aogSunday, 12 February 2006 at 22:50 TrackBack Ping URL

I am sure that every one has wondered what I look like, but really I am just a cog in a larger machine, so I thought I would show you that.

This is my lair. I work at home these days, so this is the place where I work and cruise the Internet, frequently at the same time.

Over at the far left is my Shuttle computer. You can just see the corner of the CPU unit, which is just a bit larger than a breadbox, despite being a 3000Mhz machine with 2G of ram. I got a cute 17” LCD with it which has a handy carrying handle on top (which you can see in the picture). The stand for it folds back to the panel so you can carry it very easily. Great for LAN parties (I even got a case for the LCD).

Next is my Fujitsu tablet (5020D). I am not so happy with it, but that’s my fault. The machine itself is sweet, it just doesn’t fit my needs as well I had hoped. I have an electroluminescent keyboard hooked up to it via the docking station.

Over to the right of that is my Fujitsu Lifebook P7120D. It’s just like the one She Who Is Perfect In All Ways has, but a bit nicer because I got it after she got hers. Hahaha! It is a very nice piece of hardware. Not for everybody, but it suits me well.

Next over is my main system, where I am typing this post. It’s a Dell box (under the table) with 2 1200×1600 Samsung 213T LCD displays. The only problem is that the video drivers for the flipped mode have a serious performance impact. Luckily the system is fast enough that it’s still OK for normal use, but gaming is impossible. I like the 213T, it’s a nice piece of glass. I buy keyboards like other people buy beer mugs but the keyboard I have as my main one is a cheapo $20 one I bought just to see what it looked like. It is so off-brand that, as far as I can tell, it does not even have the manufactures name on it.

On the far right, is my Dell 2000FP 1600×1200 LCD. That is also a very nice piece of glass, within a smidgeon of being as nice as the Samsung but it was a lot less money. That monitor gets hooked to various boxes. Right now it’s hooked up to a loaner box from my last contracting job. I used to switch it between that and another Shuttle box, but SWIPIAW took the Shuttle away from me for her own nefarious purposes.

On the right in the foreground, near the middle of the table, is my index card bleachers filled with note cards on which are scribbled topic sentences for posts I want to but will never get around to writing. Sigh.

The door is over on the right, so that my screens can’t be seen unless the intruder walks all the way around the table in the foreground or leans over obnoxiously. It doesn’t have quite the prestige of a real basement warren, but I like it anyway.

P.S. The office furniture and lighting is a custom layout I had done by an associate, who does great work if you’re in central Illinois, even if she’s a tad bit on the chatty side at times. You have to watch out for those drawers on the wall. I left it open one time and then stood up too quickly, leading to this. I still have a scar from that.

pj Monday, 13 February 2006 at 13:57

It’s nice. I would send a link to my wife putting it on my wish list, but she would quickly trump me. Best not to start a bidding war.

Dennis Monday, 13 February 2006 at 21:59

Showoff. Is this like MTV’s cribs?

cjm Tuesday, 14 February 2006 at 16:04

ok, now we know what happened to rick wakeman.

Annoying Old Guy Tuesday, 14 February 2006 at 16:47

Heh. Actually, it’s the keyboards that limit how many computers I can have. Only my KVM switches save me from true computational deprivation.

The rest of the family subsists on my cast off hardware.

Jack Diederich Thursday, 16 February 2006 at 11:31

Nuts, and I thought my three Samsung 204T’s were nice (19” version of the 213T).

Annoying Old Guy Thursday, 16 February 2006 at 11:42

I had three of those as well, but I foisted them off on the rest of the family. As a direct result, I now have a 19” CRT sitting around which no one will take, even for free. I literally cannot give it away.

The Shuttle LCD has been very nice. The visual quality isn’t Samsung, but it’s good and it has no bevel. The front glass is tempered and goes all the way to the edge, making it a truly flat display. That makes it great for kids, because it’s immune to any poking short of a flat out punch and very easy to clean for the same reason.

cjm Sunday, 19 February 2006 at 12:56

i read once that there are two kinds of people (this was in the context of audio): those that are in it for the h/w and those that are in it for the s/w (and have the minimum h/w to allow decent playback). you my friend are a world class toy hound :)

Annoying Old Guy Sunday, 19 February 2006 at 14:24

Oh yes. When I was corporate, I was infamous for my collections of hardware. It was one reason She Who Is Perfect In All Ways was concerned when I started to get in to digital SLRs. If you think you can burn money on computers, try getting an SLR. Even a medium grade lens can cost more than a new computer.

toe Sunday, 19 February 2006 at 15:51

it’s a very thin line between hobby and compulsion :)

i was watching a show on frank frazetta (“Painting With Fire”) and they were talking about his interest in photography and the guy has dozens and dozens of cameras.

the impulse to collect is one i am familiar with. for me it is currently music and movies. my big boy has a lego collection measured in cubic feet.