Nibbled to death by ducks
Posted by aogWednesday, 01 February 2006 at 11:45 TrackBack Ping URL

According to Instapundit, a French newspaper has re-published the cartoons that have caused such a furor in the Islamic world. For all my joy in France bashing, I must give credit where credit is due.

It seems to me that the solution to this kind of hysterical overreaction on the part the Ummah is to nibble it to death rather than directly oppose. There is only such much hysteria, so much boycotting and marching in the streets a people can do. An endless series of small efforts is far more likely to wear out such reactions than one big fight. In fact, one big fight (e.g., Salman Rushdie) is more likely to energize the Ummah than to exhaust. It is an endless series of big reactions to small slights that will be exhausting.

Moreover, it’s very much a tipping point phenomenon, where once enough people “get away” with it, ever more will flood in to grab a slice of bravado when one is likely to be lost in the crowd. In the not so long term, there is much grumbling but only occasional burst of actual outrage.

For those who hope for some kind of reformation in Islam, to make it compatible with liberal democracy, the ability to tolerate dissent and mockery is a key step, because that opens the door for other, legitimate criticism.

cjm Wednesday, 01 February 2006 at 13:18

seems like the “moderate” muslims can organize pretty effectively, when so moved. seems to me like they support terrorism or something.

german and italian papers are also reprinting the cartoons.

Jeff Guinn Friday, 03 February 2006 at 20:51

We should do the same.

And append a picture of a single digit salute after the last one.

Okay, that last was a bit of aggravated fantasy.

But don’t tell me the same thing, or something similar, didn’t occur to you.

Annoying Old Guy Friday, 03 February 2006 at 21:24

Well, no, not really. I have trained myself to try and avoid that kind of thing because such restraint makes you look much better to any non-moonbats who end up hearing or reading the exchange. It also enrages the other side far more than such gratuitious insults.

I’m also not particularly impressed by the cartoons and I think that multiple avenues of dissent are better than putting everything on one big issue (which is the original point of the post).

However, this entire incident clarifies just why the Modern American Left and the Caliphascists get along so well — the reactions to “insults” are so similar. The disproportionate yet futile rage. the lack of self examination — truly the term “fellow traveler” was never more appropriate.

Jeff Guinn Saturday, 04 February 2006 at 06:54

AOG:

Well, you are a better man than I.

The original point of the cartoons was to expose self censorship. Because of reflexive, and occasionally murderous, Muslim hostility to any criticism involving Islam, a great many people were cowed into silence.

I happened upon the website for one of the artists (or it might have been the original Danish newspaper). I lost count of death threats on the discussion thread after 60.

There are two things that really strike me about this.

First, the monumental, thoroughgoing Muslim hypocricy. If there was ever a religion that trashed others, Islam has to be it.

Second, the nearly empty concept of blasphemy. By one definition, you blaspheme Mohammed and Allah simply by not being a Muslim. Further, becausee Islam and Christianity ostensibly worship the same God, every Christian depiction of God is an act of blasphemy.

Beyond that, anyone who looks at the world and concludes that God is either cruel, unconcious, or dead, is also a blasphemer.

Do the Muslims get to kill him, too?

Islamic reaction to these cartoons lends credence to Dawkins assertion that religion is inherently evil.

toe Monday, 06 February 2006 at 22:17

life is a test.

Annoying Old Guy Tuesday, 07 February 2006 at 09:37

With reality the judge, jury, and executioner?

cjm Tuesday, 07 February 2006 at 15:58

always. it doesn’t take much of a screw up to be “eliminated”. there is only one rule in nature: compete or die.